What carb?

Nessmuck

I have an oddball setup I need to fix. Someone put a carb on a 5hp tiller engine that is to far between the manifold bolts.
It is on a 1qt. tank and is held with four screws.
Anyone know what carb would fit right?
The tank is all ate up, but still holds gas in the well and tank.

I have an oddball setup I need to fix. Someone put a carb on a 5hp tiller engine that is to far between the manifold bolts.
It is on a 1qt. tank and is held with four screws.
Anyone know what carb would fit right?
The tank is all ate up, but still holds gas in the well and tank.
Newer engines had 1 bolt spaced farther from carb bore. A different gasket is available with both holes. Block needs to have this 2nd hole to accommodate this style carb.

Very good chance your block is setup for this for you to make it work.

Most fun power carbs are like this.

Last edited:
The air filter is different between them also , the pull choke and raptor carbs have a long through bolt .
The fun power have two small screws holding the cover on .

If you've got an older block, (which it sounds like you do,) it will not have the wide bolt pattern intake flange. You will need to find a PN 397135 carb or similar (Raptor, pull choke, butterfly choke etc.) The Raptor carbs do not have the provision for the EPA return and stock air cleaner, but you can go with an aftermarket (K&N style) air filter easily enough. I probably have a couple hundred carbs here that would work just right for you, but likely you can go to a local lawnmower repair shop and ask if you can pick through their scrap pile and pick up one for free.
Often times craigslist and facebook marketplace list things called "curb alerts" that are free for the taking. You'll find complete tillers, mowers, etc that people just want rid of - if there's one good part that you can use, it would be worth the trip to the scrapper with the rest. :)

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
33 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Hi, the carbs you have, what sort are they and what price shipped?
I can tell you that a push mower with no wheels, seized engine, stripped for parts, will be gone in a couple hours for scrap to pay for drugs around here.

The left is old pull choke . The newer butterfly choke ones have a cut out or depression where the cap fits . Both interchangeable .
The right is fun power

I can tell you that a push mower with no wheels, seized engine, stripped for parts, will be gone in a couple hours for scrap to pay for drugs around here.
I have the 397135 butterfly choke style carbs, and I have Raptor carbs (simply a racing version of the 397135 without the air filter stud and threads and no epa return drilled (both could be done, but they are not final machined for racing purposes.)

Either of the first two carbs you have pictured will work fine.

totally... here too... gone in... 30 mins? things that are locked up with anything but 1/2" GRADE 80 dozer chain and KRYPTONITE NYC FAHGETABOUT IT U LOCK and 5' of 2" hevi wate pipe cemented in belled outhole might last a little longer. out of sight... out of mind. they see it... they will steal it. hardware store locks... not worth throwing out as all can be defeated by $22 "bolt" (LOCK) cutters that everyone has. dont ask how i know this

Back