What diameter air hose should I run in my trailer?

Ryan B

I am almost done setting up my trailer. I would like to run a rubber/PVC airline along the ceiling wall to two drop points inside with a male connection outside for the compressor itself.

I really like the rubber/PVC air hose sold at Harbour Freight however I am looking for advice on hose diameter (1/4, 3/8, etc.)?

My trailer is 14 feet long. I have a 100 PSI compressor, 1/3 HP, 3 Gallon.

Thanks.

Ryan

I’d say that size compressor I’d stick with 1/4” all around.. if I was gonna go 3/8” I’d use that as my manifold and then drop two 1/4” lines from it.

3/8" main line to 1/4" whips.
Supply line should always be larger than your tool lines.
You might also consider a retractable hose reel at the back of the trailer, since much of your airing is done in your pit area (on or around your kart.)
We have a nice aluminum portable air tank that works well in our pit and leave the compressor in the trailer.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

3/8" main line to 1/4" whips.
Supply line should always be larger than your tool lines.
You might also consider a retractable hose reel at the back of the trailer, since much of your airing is done in your pit area (on or around your kart.)
We have a nice aluminum portable air tank that works well in our pit and leave the compressor in the trailer.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
Same here, we only carry an air tank, never had the need for a compressor.

If your running air tools all of the above apply but your filling tires not running air tools.

Use the largest hose you can easily handle with your air chuck on the end.
The valve stem is only so big no matter what hose the air chuck is on.
The longer the skinny hose you put your air chuck on the more it will reduce air pressure and volume going through the valve stem into your tires.
A big hose on your air chuck will fill your tires faster then a skinny long hose.
If your more comfortable with a skinny hose and the extra time it takes to fill your tires doesn't matter then use a skinny long hose.
If you need to fill your tire faster use a large diameter hose.

If your running air tools all of the above apply but your filling tires not running air tools.

Use the largest hose you can easily handle with your air chuck on the end.
The valve stem is only so big no matter what hose the air chuck is on.
The longer the skinny hose you put your air chuck on the more it will reduce air pressure and volume going through the valve stem into your tires.
A big hose on your air chuck will fill your tires faster then a skinny long hose.
If your more comfortable with a skinny hose and the extra time it takes to fill your tires doesn't matter then use a skinny long hose.
If you need to fill your tire faster use a large diameter hose.
As long as the hose is the same diameter or bigger than valve stem it’s not going to change how fast it is filled as long as your psi is the same. Also reducing to a smaller hose from a bigger header does not reduce psi no matter how long the hose is. The only way to reduce pressure is going from a small ID to a bigger ID.

The length of the hose also effects pressure. The smaller the hose the more it effects pressure.
It's the result of friction when air travels down a hose. Though a gas air is still matter and matter rubbing against matter causes friction.

That's why no matter how big or small the hose is you loose more pressure on a longer hose then a shorter hose.

... or as usual i'm wrong and will learn from throwing out old thoughts and ideas which are wrong. ... :)

My suggestion which was only about filling tires and not using air tools, was to put the air chuck on the biggest hose you can comfortably handle.

Volume is what fills a tire .
Honestly its a 3hp compressor its not going to matter much .
1/4 inch is slightly easier to roll up .

The length of the hose also effects pressure. The smaller the hose the more it effects pressure.
It's the result of friction when air travels down a hose. Though a gas air is still matter and matter rubbing against matter causes friction.

That's why no matter how big or small the hose is you loose more pressure on a longer hose then a shorter hose.

... or as usual i'm wrong and will learn from throwing out old thoughts and ideas which are wrong. ... :)

My suggestion which was only about filling tires and not using air tools, was to put the air chuck on the biggest hose you can comfortably handle.
You are correct that friction will reduce the psi and longer it is the more it will effect it but the measurable pressure loss is almost 0.

You are correct that friction will reduce the psi and longer it is the more it will effect it but the measurable pressure loss is almost 0.

depending on what you're flowing at, the pressure loss can be much more than zero. But all this is really irrelevant when it comes to filling small tires. Even if it was important, you're gonna run out of capacity on that small of a compressor long before any hose size limitations come into play.

I use 1/4 at the track. Now in the shop thats a whole different story. I like the 1/4 for the ease and portability. I put my compressor and generator at the front of my truck so I dont have to listen to it. I have 100' hose and it rolls up nice after the day is done. Its just easier and it does everything I need at the track.

Your probably gonna want a bit more psi. JMO. 3/8” main out of pipe and drop down mid of trailer and back. Terminate with couplings and get a couple of those 1/4” yellow coil hoses. Should be able to get a couple of 25’ ones easy.

Back