What do racers want?

I honestly 100% don't even look at the payouts. This hobby to me is never gonna be about making money.

When I decide to run dirt I look at what tracks are running and what classes are offered. (Can I take the flat and champ? # of classes for each? etc.) The number of classes is really so I don't drive 2-3 hours for one class.

To me for dirt my decision is 100% based on the track (banking, type of dirt and # of classes) I prefer the smaller banked tracks. I rather run red clay (western SC) vs the sand clay mix (eastern SC)

Plus I think the single kart qualifying is the biggest waste of time in karting period. Sign up, spin the wheel or draw a number and line up for heat races. (Everyone wants to get more laps each week so why not run heats?)

Example:
I went to Sugartit my first time this year and was blown away with how simple and quick a race day can be. Practice started at 4 even with heat races and features we pulled out the gate at 9:15. Ran 2 champ classes and could have drove to Warrior Creek to start in the back of champ there. Simple program and no waiting around between classes.

Promoter told me one time. "Anything over 7 hours from the gates opening to closing your losing people."

When I go back again I plan to go Friday and run outback or foothills then run Sugar on Saturday. Get all I can get because we don't run every single week.

But I prefer asphalt oval so that is what I really want to see in the carolinas someplace.

Plus I think the single kart qualifying is the biggest waste of time in karting period. Sign up, spin the wheel or draw a number and line up for heat races. (Everyone wants to get more laps each week so why not run heats?)
Pill draw for heats. Works great, sign in, pull your pill, make a lame joke about how bad your pill is ;)

I've also been track staff. It's nice to have a chance to eat and use facilities...
That is a fair point, I hadnt thought of that.

We road race, so maybe for us it's a bit different. All of our events are 2 to 3 days long (2 or 3 nights in a motel, plus food), and our closest track is 3 1/2 hours way (200 miles).
Great tracks, bring great competition. Daytona, VIR, Road Atlanta, Charlotte, MidOhio, Pittsburgh, etc, etc. A race at Watkins Glen would be insane....it was years ago!
It's all about the track!!!
Clark Gaynor Sr.

re: lineups for heats..... 1st race of the year, or invitational (tour) events, we drew pills....otherwise, we inverted the points standings. And also ran invert for features.

The weekly show runs quick, but the kart count is pretty low. It’s a flat bullring, clay, hard, and pretty smooth, calcium chloride is used, track is swept when needed. The pits are flat, the food is decent.
I would just like to get some ideas for a ONCE A YEAR SPECIAL. Not huge payouts, because I want to keep the atmosphere fun!
How about two heats, then the top 8 or 10 redraw for feature (or top 1/4 or 1/2 of the field).
Maybe run a king of the track race? (2 karts winner stays out until he gets beat)
Winner gets a free pizza or watermelon🤷‍♂️

The weekly show runs quick, but the kart count is pretty low. It’s a flat bullring, clay, hard, and pretty smooth, calcium chloride is used, track is swept when needed. The pits are flat, the food is decent.
I would just like to get some ideas for a ONCE A YEAR SPECIAL. Not huge payouts, because I want to keep the atmosphere fun!
How about two heats, then the top 8 or 10 redraw for feature (or top 1/4 or 1/2 of the field).
Maybe run a king of the track race? (2 karts winner stays out until he gets beat)
Winner gets a free pizza or watermelon🤷‍♂️
Personally, I think to keep a fun atmosphere at a big race is incredibly difficult. For a once a year special, I'd say add 50% to the winner, so that normally he wins $80, for the special he gets $120. Maybe see if you can get some sponsors to throw in free stuff. We have a local vinyl guy who throws in free wraps from time to time.

Redraws with more than 4 or 6 are too many. I would hate to win my heat race, and start 10th. USAC does something similar with their Midgets and Sprints, but its more complicated than just a top 10 redraw. If you have timing, make the fastest lap a guaranteed 5th place start, and redraw the top 4. Have the fastest lap come from the heats, NOT qualifying.

King of the track will be tough to keep guys interested in. I have to do all of my prep work, and take time that I could be prepping for the feature so that I can race one other guy? Cool idea, I just dont think it would work well.

Get Big checks for the winners. Everybody likes winning the big check. Just my $.02

I'm personally sick of the "pay for parking" stuff all these tracks are adopting. I think we pay enough with entries and gate fees etc that parking should absolutely be free! Keep concessions reasonable, nonsense paying $8 for a burger.

Be fair! USE the black flag when needed and to me, most importantly the track promoter/owner should absolutely NOT have a kart/relative in the field! A few of our local tracks have the promoters family there, both their kids race and just about always "magically" draw first heat and pole position, always get their spot back on restarts etc. That to me turns racers away faster than anything.

Back