What Durometer

bomber315

I was hoping to find a durometer (gauge) at Harrisburg, but I must have been too drunk and didn't see one. Which one is everyone running? I want to get the most popular one so I'm comparing apples to apples. I feel like different guages probably read differently.

We use (and sell) Intercomp gauges.
I've compared the quality of most of the durometers currently on the market, and Intercomp's quality and consistency is as good as it gets. I've got a high dollar, top of the line, PTC durometer that I use in the shop and the Intercomps read the same as it time after time.
I think Sarah gets right at $60 for an Intercomp durometer. I feel that's the "standard" that most guys are using, but I know that Longacre and Joes are popular now too (because of cheaper cost I assume.) Longacres read higher than they should. That's not a problem, as long as you know that going into the deal -- it's really only a comparison tool - same as a dyno. Numbers only mean something if they are compared to the same gauge.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
30 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

^^^^ The comparing gauges is common . The problem is they are not all the same .air or durometer.
Calibration is only accurate too a certain percentage , acceptable too the mfg.
So one longacre may be off 4 points and another 6 points vs intercomp . All within acceptable company standards .
If you want to compare tires you would need to check the other competitors tires with your gauge .
Thats going to be a long shot , as not many hot shoes going too let you muddle around with there tires:oops:

^^^^ The comparing gauges is common . The problem is they are not all the same .air or durometer.
Calibration is only accurate too a certain percentage , acceptable too the mfg.
So one longacre may be off 4 points and another 6 points vs intercomp . All within acceptable company standards .
If you want to compare tires you would need to check the other competitors tires with your gauge .
Thats going to be a long shot , as not many hot shoes going too let you muddle around with there tires:oops:

i just see all of you guy say your tires are "punching 60" or 40 or whatever. im trying to figure out what gauge everyone is running so i can get the same one and be able to learn more from the numbers that are shared

i just see all of you guy say your tires are "punching 60" or 40 or whatever. im trying to figure out what gauge everyone is running so i can get the same one and be able to learn more from the numbers that are shared
Same. I'm a Saturday night guy and we have had success on RS's in the 30-40's. Its kids and they only run about 8 lap features.

Get the Intercomp gauge . Its the best and what the pros use .
Of course the knock off digitals , give digital readings .
Intercomp if you're going too try comparison readings .

Last edited:
I race with 2 guys who are really into tire work and we each have different brands of durometers. No, they don't read exactly the same but every week the differences are exactly the same and there's not much difference. It's all sort of relative, whatever you get keep using it.

How much higher are we talking?
5-7 points.
Yes, I think that's enough to cause problems/confusion.
If I want a tire punching 50 and your durometer is reading 57, don't think that's "close enough."
This becomes a real problem when the track has a durometer "spec." If your tech man is going to use a specific brand of durometer, then BE SURE to use one that is consistent with his when preparing your tires! It doesn't have to read the same, but it had better be off by the exact same amount every time.

For the money, I think that the Intercomp is hands-down the preferred durometer. Then again, I've stuck my fingernail in more tires than most guys have stuck them with durometers combined. ;)

5-7 points.
Yes, I think that's enough to cause problems/confusion.
If I want a tire punching 50 and your durometer is reading 57, don't think that's "close enough."
This becomes a real problem when the track has a durometer "spec." If your tech man is going to use a specific brand of durometer, then BE SURE to use one that is consistent with his when preparing your tires! It doesn't have to read the same, but it had better be off by the exact same amount every time.

For the money, I think that the Intercomp is hands-down the preferred durometer. Then again, I've stuck my fingernail in more tires than most guys have stuck them with durometers combined. ;)
Thanks that's what I mean. Think I've got a longacre

It's hard to deny top quality tools. Accuracy is as important as precision - especially when you're running against the big boys.
However, if you buy the cheaper tool then find somebody with a top quality version and then compare readings between the two on the same tire(s). That way you'll have a good idea how much you're off - just remember to factor it in. You'll need to compare on tires of several different hardness because some gauges are not off the same amount on one end of the scale as the other.

Don't forget that no matter what version you buy, you have to take good care of it too or it could go sour on you. Don't leave it bouncing around in your trailer, and out in an unheated garage or trailer all winter. They can get corroded inside.

Back