What effects do these changes have?

jacobsdad

I am getting a list if stuff together for a kid in helping get into karting. He has gained confidence and is driving good, now he is working on gaining some speed. For whatever reason I can’t remember what effects a few changes will have on the kart. So, I come to the experts to refresh my memory.
What will reducing the right side or increasing the left side weight do to handling?
What effect does moving the left rear wheel in or out have on handling? I know the cup theory of a narrow width between rear wheels allows tighter turns but trying to figure out how to explain the reaction on all stages of the turn. ( entry, center and exit).

I should have thought about that! I have those sheets printed and in a binder in the trailer, I will just print him a copy to use. Thanks for the reminder!

Right or wrong here goes .
Increasing left or reducing right will free it up .
Never had much luck with moving the lft rear .
Out reduces cross in adds cross , though not big amounts .
Out also unloads sooner and longer .
In unloads later and reloads quicker .

So far I have been working on the basics with him. Getting him to stay relaxed in the seat and understand what the kart is doing. I wanted to make a guide for him and his dad to use to recognize and fix handling issues. I had forgotten about the no goats pages, they were our go to at the track. I helped him scale the kart and was trying to explain why each Weight we look at does to the kart.
He was gone the last few weeks so hopefully he will be back this weekend and be able to run the rest of the season.

Back