What ever happened to the sprocket size vs performance issue

Still messing with it Elmer. I can tell you that at my home track (PKRA) I am very happy running the 18/63 gears over the 16/56. The track is very much a momentum track at least as far as sprint tracks go. I have consulted with engineers in an attempt to find out where the advantage comes from and they assure me that it is NOT a matter of reduced friction or drag of mechanical components as those would be infinitesimally small effects. I have a few ideas as to what is going on but along with finding it difficult to explain I also do not want to be the cause of spreading another half a$$ idea. Stay tuned!

Still messing with it Elmer. I can tell you that at my home track (PKRA) I am very happy running the 18/63 gears over the 16/56. The track is very much a momentum track at least as far as sprint tracks go. I have consulted with engineers in an attempt to find out where the advantage comes from and they assure me that it is NOT a matter of reduced friction or drag of mechanical components as those would be infinitesimally small effects. I have a few ideas as to what is going on but along with finding it difficult to explain I also do not want to be the cause of spreading another half a$$ idea. Stay tuned!
Have you run both, with identical conditions, and found one to be better? And how much?

Yes I have. Repeated ABA rests. Yes, the larger drive sprocket was .3 quicker per lap consistently. I plan on more testing thru October and expect to have solid data.

Back