What Form Do You Use for Lead Pucks?

jclewis

I’m looking for something different than the muffin pan style, common to Karting.

What’s everyone using, to form a 5#, thinner, larger diameter, puck?

I’m looking to triple stack 5# pucks, which I’ve done in the past, with the thinner, larger diameter described above.

I sold my lead several years ago, & don’t know exactly form was used when they were made.

Thanks...

I made a custom shape . Plywood bottom tin sides . Shaped to fit seat side .
Adlib the rest . Pvc or pyrex probably wouldn't hold up . Cast iron skillet come in different diameters .

I don't know what is used as a mold, but I use the same weight's you speak of, I'll measure one and get that info to you asap, don't think it would match a cast iron skillet as the sides are straight not tapered at all.
You have a PM.

I just use cat food or tuna fish cans. I do not take the lead out of the can. They seem to retain paint better and better wearability at the mounting point. An additional benefit is, as lead is a toxic substance, it minimizes skin contact.

....well it is 2021 ..........and I’m still racing Flatheads sooooo....maybe I’m not all together there.

I use a cast iron skillet to melt with and camping stainless steel coffee cup for a mold works great and it won’t stick to the stainless cup I think I bought the cup at Myer or target

....well it is 2021 ..........and I’m still racing Flatheads sooooo....maybe I’m not all together there.
Come to my neck of the woods aka indiana i bet we could have some fun with the flattys... but we use a old cast iron skillet to shape

I don't know what is used as a mold, but I use the same weight's you speak of, I'll measure one and get that info to you asap, don't think it would match a cast iron skillet as the sides are straight not tapered at all.
You have a PM.
Got a pic of a puck?
I was thinking it was a mold used for crab cakes, or something similar

they were around 1.25-1.50” thick, and maybe 4” in diameter, as mentioned, but not tapered

I’ve also seen the same approx size, but rounded on the edges... maybe those are using a very small cast iron

Got a pic of a puck?
I was thinking it was a mold used for crab cakes, or something similar

they were around 1.25-1.50” thick, and maybe 4” in diameter, as mentioned, but not tapered

I’ve also seen the same approx size, but rounded on the edges... maybe those are using a very small cast iron
That would be fine just with being thicker pretty sure they would weigh more than 5 lbs.

I started out using cat food tins but went to a baking pan for LARGE muffins from walmart. They are in the 5 pound range when done, cat food deal was more like 4 pounds.

Back