What generator to buy?

Sold my Honda EB2200X which was very faithful. My intent was to buy a larger Honda to run 2 heat guns. There is one available in my area, an EM3500X. It is a few years old but looks well kept. My issue is that is it enough to power the two heat guns? Or should I bite the bullet and buy the 5500 watt or the 8700 watt Predator from HF? I have had two Hondas and they are very reliable. Will the Predator be as reliable over time?

I bought the HF 8700 watt at beginning of this year with no issues, you can buy a lot of HF generators for the price of one Honda

Rob, I have a 3500 from HF it has been fine and dependable but they are over rated and it really won't do 2 heat guns at once. Mine is pre-preditor and the same size generator is now rated a bit more. I believe that if you buy their extended warranty you can trade it in for a bigger one if it does not suit your needs.

It will be used more than a couple hours at the track. I have a Honda EU3000IS also and I run them both when a power outage comes into pl
ay.

I have bought quite a few things from hf and don't anymore. Nothing has really lasted unless I don't use it. Plus the Honda you know what you are getting and it's much quieter.

I bought a Boily 3600 I beleive. It runs my 13,500 a/c unit in my race trailer as well as lights. Not to noisy compared to coleman and some others but no where near as quiet as the Hondas'. It has high and low out put selection depending on what you are needing power for, low is very economical and does the lighting fine. Has pull start as well as electric start. Made in china and distributed out of a Minnesota Co., reasonable pricing too.

We have pitted close to someone with a diesel a few times, not sure of the brand. I can here it 3 trailers down over my Honda powered generator.

Rob-
I've got a Boliy 3600 with an electric start if you're interested. Cheap! I used it for camping. It ran my 15,000 BTU AC. It's not putting out power but I know squat about electricity. I was told it's an easy fix. It has a BRAND NEW motor. We don't camp any more so I haven't looked any further into it. I think I've got $275 into the new motor alone. I'll let the whole thing to for $200. I'm in Bristol.

I bought a Boily 3600 I beleive. It runs my 13,500 a/c unit in my race trailer as well as lights. Not to noisy compared to coleman and some others but no where near as quiet as the Hondas'. It has high and low out put selection depending on what you are needing power for, low is very economical and does the lighting fine. Has pull start as well as electric start. Made in china and distributed out of a Minnesota Co., reasonable pricing too.

I think I've decided to buy a smaller watt generator but it is a Honda. An EB3500X, used but well taken care of for a decent pricetag. Great warrantees on the others but the name says it all.

When you buy a generator, make sure you choose one based on the rated power output and not the max power output. The max output is not designed to run that many watts for long periods of time and will burn up your generator quick. Its better to have one bigger than what you need than one that is exactly the size you think you need, in my experience. You never know when you may need that generator to light up your house in the event of an emergency. Anything around 8000 watts is great if you can afford it, but get a good one, not a cheap one like generac. You want to spend money on a generator once and be done with it, not keep having to replace them or find something bigger. Just my opinion

The noise from the HF's may be rod knock from what I heard last month at Loudon..........

Besides the Honda's, Yamaha genies are also very good.

John

I think I've decided to buy a smaller watt generator but it is a Honda. An EB3500X, used but well taken care of for a decent pricetag. Great warrantees on the others but the name says it all.

good choice, im a big fan of the Hondas. I own a few of them myself.i service the eb3000c models for a plumbing company and they have owned many of them for 8 years with constant running and very little maintenance. great units..

Back