What happened to the 206 Forum?

Aside from the "there's already too many classes" argument -- I don't think that Terry (VMax) is intending that the LO206 class be replaced with a pro206 class, rather, give the racers another stepping stone using the same engine (and without the added expense of a full blown blueprinted animal engine.) I really like the idea, but we've got to address the too many classes problem at the same time.
The clone deal to begin with had no rules, then little rules, then vague rules, then rules changes every other weekend that address the gray areas that racers and builders have exploited. -- THAT's what turned the clone into just another blueprint class. THE LO206 class has had virtually the same set of rules from the onset. The engines come from one assembly line and hold to fairly strict manufacturing tolerances. This is totally opposite of the current clone situation, where anyone with deep enough pockets can import complete engines or individual parts that have a distinct performance advantage and forces every racer to constantly "update" to these new and improved parts.
I like the LO206 class, but it certainly has it's limitations at 6100 for certain tracks, ie road courses that a 7100 coil could possibly eliminate.
I certainly wouldn't be apposed to just integrating the WF rod to new 206 builds from the factory -- that's one less part that would differ. Now, you're looking at the pro-gas profile cam and the WF coil as being the only differences. Now, as a retailer, I'm not overly excited about stocking a whole other engine -- Personally, I'd much rather stock just the coil and cam. At least until we see how this thing takes off, it's hard to justify tying up money, shelf space, shipping, taxes, etc to have yet another engine sitting on the shelf. Just something to consider. :)

Good Idea on using one base engine. an d NO I did not mean to replace the LO206 just to expand the base engine into other classes to enhance racing at a lower cost per lap than EVEN the clones provide

L0206 as is for JR through adult sealed motor classes
LO206 with Pgas Cam and WF rod and coil for Pro206
Lo206 with WF rod, coil and cam and springs, animal coil for MOD206.

All the specs are already in print just need to shuffle a few around a bit such as Pro206 and MOD206.

Works for me(;-),TP

The more I think on it the more I like the idea. Dealer stocks just one engine and some accesory parts.

Need a LO206 here ya go in the box or dyno tuned

Need a Pro206 take a LO206 change out the rod and cam and coil. Here you go in the box or dyno tuned

Need a MOD206 take a Lo206 Change the Rod and Cam, add teh springs and animal coil. Here you are in the box or dyno tuned.

The Lo206 as the base engine allows engines that are being renewed to be use in the next up class

L0206 renew as a Pro206 or Mod206

Pro206 renewed as a MOD206.

(;-) TP

The only other thing needed to change would be to allow up to a .010" piston for Pro206 and up to a .020" piston for Mod206. That makes better use of older Short blocks when renewing for an Upgrade class.

Just a thought, (;-) TP

Let's not kill the animal BP class quite yet. Pro206 doesn't need align-boring and tricked up rings at +.010." Leave them sealed, or at least standard bore -- we already have classes that allow overboring, etc. that use the good block candidates that are ready for oversized pistons. There doesn't seem to be much demand for "seasoned" blocks as some had hoped for anyway. Seems that when we build a brand new WKA animal or limited animal, folks want a brand new block (not one used for 3 seasons on a 206 class.) Can't say I blame them. With as thick as the castings are, there's sure not any core shift going on. :)

Well unless Briggs is going to suppy sealed Pro206 with rod and cam you have to allow people inside the block to upgrade. ou are not going to get much advantage with a .010" os bore a touch more CI but also a touch more weight pretty much a wash.

IF there was an upgrade class that directly USED a factory stock block then more would be encouraged to USE a used 206 shortblock as the Short block could be directly used without machining other than bore .010 and clearance.

Down here the animal pretty much does not exist anymore so no point in promoting it ALONG WITH a Pro206 class. Either stick with one OR the other so we do NOT polute the class structure and YES you can have too many classes . Racing is at its best with FULL classes NOT 3-4 per class. STOP the CHERRY PICKING and get BACK to racing.

IF the engines cannot survive more than a couple of seasons without falling apart we need to start over in a different direction (;-) The average dirt engine only sees about 20 minutes run time each race day at best. Road racing 1hr per class day at best. That is NOT much run time.

TECH RULES would be simple just cut and paste a few here and there and you are done ready to publish.

Just a thought, (;-) TP

I'm not sure what your reasoning is by taking a perfectly good engine package in the LO206 and now trying to improve on it by allowing cams, different coils, and WF rods. We have run our 206 two seasons and will be starting out next year for our third. We are making strides on more racers coming on board in this class and now you are wanting to mess with it. What is the difference in building a animal and a pro gas animal. Don't make it go the way of the clone please Ron

No one said anything about messing with the LO206 now did they (;-)

Believe it or not there is a whole OTHER class of racers that want to go faster than a LO206 can go. They have the animal class but it it not that economical to run. and for the most poart it is a builders class.

The Pro206 would be assembled from a LO206 base with simple add on parts and fits the bill to a tee . It can be an out of the box racer with full tech specs to boot.

Don't you want more racers at your track? Do you think the LO206 can support an entire racetrack ? IT has not so far.

Just a thought, (;-) TP

Question. What is the maintenance cost? Will they live like the stock LO206? It seems like when you start changing parts and pieces you sometimes forfeit reliability?(not being a wise guy) I only spent $ on oil and the materials needed for the filter. Oh ya, I also bought a new plug. I spent way more than that on the clones I had and didn't get to enjoy them as much. These things put the fun back in racing on a budget.

I really don't see why a Pro206 with good maintanance and GOOD OIL and clean filters could not go 2 years with only top end maintanance (lap vales). Even thought the rpm limit would be 1000 rpm higher than a LO206.

(;-) TP

The LO206 is fine right where it's at. The progas class is an additional class. The bp'd alcohol animal is hurting for numbers in the deep south. That may not be the case everywhere, but certainly the influx of the clone has impacted the car counts in the animal classes down south. The LO206 has not caught on in the south east at all. It's getting some footholds in pockets of the country, sure, but we have to realize that the majority of the oval crowd resides in the south east, and the sanctioning bodies that currently "guide" the direction of our sport are located there as well. If the sanctioning bodies, series, and track promoters are seeing an increase in clone kart counts, of course they will promote accordingly. That's why you see $10g to win "pro-clone" races being promoted - because the promoter knows that he can count on car numbers to make the pay-out. An alcohol animal is still in the $1400-$1500 ballpark and for now anyhow, that's higher than the clone -- so you see the direction that karting has taken over the last few years.
There's no denying that the LO206 is the best bang for the buck in racing right now. Even the clone faithful can see that today, however, we all know of clone racers who have said that they would buy a 206 if they just had a good class of them at their track. What they need to be reminded of is that someone had to be the first at their track to bring a clone a few years ago. 6-7 years ago, no one knew what a clone engine was!
I think a progas engine class is a good choice as far as reliability and performance as a stepping stone above the LO206 platform. It's faster than an LO206, slightly slower than a full bp'd alcohol animal, and faster than an AKRA clone for about the same money. A year from now when the next color of the rainbow clones is introduced with it's new and improved parts, the progas (with a 3 year moratorium on it's rules) will be considerably cheaper than the clones with their ever-changing rules. $850 - $1000 for a pro-gas 206 engine is pretty much on par with the clones already.
The LO206 is safe where it is. If guys want to move up from that class, that's cool -- they could have moved up previously to the alcohol animal class (or any other for that matter.) The LO206 does a great job at what it is intended for -- that shouldn't change in my opinion.

Again not bashing the 206, it is a good program for entry leval or club karting. The only problem I have with the 206 is a lot of tracks talking about going to them are the tracks that do not tech or do not want to tech. They honestly believe that they will not have to tech at all if they run the 206 because it is sealed. WRONG. Only the bottom end is sealed and you will still need to check the top end for the ones who go by the saying that " there are 2 people at a race track, cheaters and losers"... Tech is and will always be a part of racing no matter which engine you run.

Totally agree that you still need to have tech. No one is suggesting otherwise. You have to admit though, that they are MUCH easier to tech than the clones! It's a step in the right direction for sure -- especially for those tracks that have little or no tech, in my opinion. You will always have guys that bend the rules -- it's no different with or without tech. How many guys have pushed the clone rules and gotten busted for it this year alone? I couldn't even begin to count all those caught with illegal springs.
I think the LO206 goes above and beyond "entry level" or "club" karting, especially when you see seasoned veterans of our sport jumping in them and the big smile on their face at the end of the race.

Humm. It seems like the WF's rod and ignition system is wanted, yet many racers don't like the WF's head, piston, carb and manifold. I agree the LO206 takes good care of what is needed for stock racers yet the step up to something faster with similar dependability is quite questionable. I guess I don't understand how a modLO206 is somehow going to be less expensive and more dependable than an Alky Animal or WF? In my opinion the step up in power needs be closer to the power of the 2 stroke tag classes and the 206 platform and dependabilty doesn't work well for 20 or greater HP. Maybe a sealed LO390? When racers are allowed to get inside a short block I think it adds about $200.00 just in labor to the price of running that class.

You are not going to get a 20hp based industrial engine to hold up as a TAG compatable class engine It will take a motorcyle class engine to do so. Karting style cases and motorcycle components.

To run at the 20hp level with 250cc you would have to detune the engine and it woulo dbe pretty much bullet proof at that level.

The MOD206 would be a peppy ride with a stock size carb It would easy rev to 8k and fade off after that. WITH the small carb it would have excellent throttle responce off teh corners and decent top end compared to an Animal. The small carb would limited peak cylinder pressure and should provide for a long life for a MOD.

In each of these class there would be NO
cam of the month
Spring of the week
carb of the month
pipe of the month
Flywheel of the month
Head of the month.

AND a very well regulated set of TECH SPECS

Well we may have to add 5-6 flywheels to the mix to make the clonie converts feel comfortable (;-) We can take the stock FW and paint them different colors for a FW of the month purchase.

(;-) TP

Who carries these complete and no power difference using different pipes? I would like to try starting a class at couple tracks around here. Looks like a great racing program!!!

Russell
I have everything you could possible imagine for a LO 206 in stock.
Please check you PM's

Yes sir, jimbo thank you for the quick response and great details on this briggs!!!
Great service here guys!!!!

Back