What Heat Range of Plug Needed for my Mild SBO Animal?

Don't have a CHT Sensor.
I do have EGT yes, but not connected yet.
32° ignition timing as per degree wheel.
PVL Blue Coil and Flywheel.
Dyno 308 Cam, M5 fuel.
Large diameter 24" open pipe w/flare.
Currently running Autolite 3910x

That plug will work fine.
Depending on how much you have taken off the head gasket surface, the head gasket thickness, piston pop up etc make sure it doesn't hit the piston

^ Are you using a domed piston or much piston pop-up at all (ie deck been cut?)
Head been milled more than WKA stock class limit?

Be VERY careful of the 3910X plug hitting the piston if you've done many mods in these areas.
Otherwise it's a fine plug to use.

I have one that I prefer to use on mod. animals -- the reason so many use the 3910X plug in a stocker is because it has a longer reach and with 4 ground straps, it displaces cc's in the combustion chamber (ie not necessary on a modified "built" engine.)

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
29 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

I would not use the plug that comes in an Animal or 206 as the stock plug. It has been know to cause detonation problems. The OEM is a Champion plug with a 12 heat range. I have nothing against Champion plugs. I use them all the time. The brand doesn't matter but the heat range does.
If you want to use a conventional design plug i would recommend a Champion with a heat range of 9.
If you want to use another brand just cross reference the heat range to that brand.

Fire Ring head gasket.
Very minimal taken off the block.
Has .010" piston pop-up
Head built as per WKA Limited Modified Animal Specs.

Deck has only been surfaced. I choose to cut the piston vs the deck.

What plug you run in your Animal Modifies?

^ Are you using a domed piston or much piston pop-up at all (ie deck been cut?)
Head been milled more than WKA stock class limit?

Be VERY careful of the 3910X plug hitting the piston if you've done many mods in these areas.
Otherwise it's a fine plug to use.

I have one that I prefer to use on mod. animals -- the reason so many use the 3910X plug in a stocker is because it has a longer reach and with 4 ground straps, it displaces cc's in the combustion chamber (ie not necessary on a modified "built" engine.)

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
29 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Here's one way to measure plug clearance.
With the head off and the plug installed, lay the headgasket you are using on the head. Take a straight edge and lay it across the head to see how much clearance you have between the straight edge and the plug.
Also measure the piston pop up and deduct it from the measurement. If you have depth Mic you can get the actual measurement in thousands of an inch.
A Champion RC9YC will work fine. Or you can cross reference it to another brand.

Back