What is Gear Bound??

I have an idea spinning around in my head that may explain it, but I'm not sure, just an idea.

When you asked the local hot shoe a question on gearing, and he has no idea of a solution, he'll suggest, "gear bound". Not that he knows what that means, but he's pretty sure that you don't know what it means either. This allows his reputation as the, "local hot shoe" to remain in place. You have it spinning around in your head, "what does that mean" but you don't want to ask that question in fear of being thought of as a knob.

This track, along with Liberty, possible Woodleaf, has many of the Pros in the sport visiting this place often.
When they tell you something, the ones whos winning, you can usually take it to the bank. I am also at this track often, and anyone who asks for advice i give it freely and truthfully.

Gear bound = When the energy going into making the kart accelerate equal the losses that are making the kart go slower. When these balance out the kart stops accelerating. One of the laws of physics!

Steve

Now it's identified, how do you fix it? Isn't that what everyone is really interested in? ... :)

I'll guess:

1. Increase the gear ratio.
2. Reduce the amount of momentum you loose turn in, to the start of acceleration.
a. What's a wrong line?
b. What's a good line?
3. Change your line going into the turn.
a. See #2
4. Change your line from the start of acceleration on out of the corner.
a. See #2
5. Change your baseline numbers to or towards:
a. ?
b. ?
6. Prep your tires towards:
a. ?
b. ?
7. Other then prep change your tires towards:
a. ?
b. ?
8. All of the above. ... :)
9. What else?
a. ?
b. ?

Please fill in the blanks, by answering the questions or try it some other way, copy and paste or what ever. Don't worry about putting up wrong answers, wrong answers are a great way for all of us to learn. I'm an expert on giving wrong answers and dumb poor suggestions.

Questions are easy, answers are hard.

Sort of maybe looks like if you can fix "gear bound", you can fix most anything. ... :)

... or are all fixes for all on track problems the same and really about knowing how what your racing works and how to drive and race?

Now it's identified, how do you fix it? Isn't that what everyone is really interested in? ... :)

I'll guess:

1. Increase the gear ratio.
2. Reduce the amount of momentum you loose turn in, to the start of acceleration.
a. What's a wrong line?
b. What's a good line?
3. Change your line going into the turn.
a. See #2
4. Change your line from the start of acceleration on out of the corner.
a. See #2
5. Change your baseline numbers to or towards:
a. ?
b. ?
6. Prep your tires towards:
a. ?
b. ?
7. Other then prep change your tires towards:
a. ?
b. ?
8. All of the above. ... :)
9. What else?
a. ?
b. ?

Please fill in the blanks, by answering the questions or try it some other way, copy and paste or what ever. Don't worry about putting up wrong answers, wrong answers are a great way for all of us to learn. I'm an expert on giving wrong answers and dumb poor suggestions.

Questions are easy, answers are hard.

Sort of maybe looks like if you can fix "gear bound", you can fix most anything. ... :)

... or are all fixes for all on track problems the same and really about knowing how what your racing works and how to drive and race?

If I'm convinced it's gear bound the only changes I'm making is different clutch driver, different rear gear, or both.

Back