What is the avg cost to be a suitcase kart driver?

racingman

Anyone have an idea what it cost to be an arrive and drive suitcase driver for a team in the midwest that would run for a wka title? 15 year old son Jr. Supercan or next level up. Cost? Want team do you recommend?

I'll field a ballpark figure . I'm cheep so might be low . One thousand a day , plus a ryder in case it gets waded up .

As a team owner... I have had a hired hot shoe before... It cost me more money for him to run than it was worth... In my eyes you cant just show up to race... You need to help with the work to get on the track... Thats means late nights working on the kart, loading, unloading, and be able to afford broken parts or even fuel and oil... It is best to slowly build up your own equipment and get the just rewards without giving most if not all of your payout to the car owner... Just my honest opinion...

As a team owner... I have had a hired hot shoe before... It cost me more money for him to run than it was worth... In my eyes you cant just show up to race... You need to help with the work to get on the track... Thats means late nights working on the kart, loading, unloading, and be able to afford broken parts or even fuel and oil... It is best to slowly build up your own equipment and get the just rewards without giving most if not all of your payout to the car owner... Just my honest opinion...

I can't argue with your opinion. However, some drivers don't want to go thru 1 or 2 years of learning to achieve success. I've learned to get with a team that has it all figured out and just front the money. Otherwise, we'll chase the car and set up and learning curve too long. Every level or racing has arrive and drive. We've raced late models and have paid $5k a race. Ridiculous I know, but a car is $60k plus and you need a crew. Just trying to see what karting is like as we may try that. We've ran karts for 4 years and have a knowledge grasp but if you're going to a national level you need immediate help with different tracks, tires, set ups, etc, and teams with knowledge can give us that.

Sounds to me that you want to be a factory driver... Which is something you have to show with your accomplishments not just on the track but off the track as well...

Looks like every team owner is not cut out for this. Some teams are.

Sounds to me that you want to be a factory driver... Which is something you have to show with your accomplishments not just on the track but off the track as well...

Looks like we're perfect as a factory driver. Appreciate the advice.

I am just being honest... I didn't mean to offend you but becoming a factory driver is quite hard to do... And then its not what track you want to run its where the chassis builder wants you to go... So just midwest would be out the picture.

I dont think colt is following you. Plenty of the Keith Kunz midget types where the cars are provided and you bring a sponsor basically. I'm sure some kart teams exist just like this but i'm not in the hot bed so i dont know them. Look at the names winning the big races and approach them

Anyone have an idea what it cost to be an arrive and drive suitcase driver for a team in the midwest that would run for a wka title? 15 year old son Jr. Supercan or next level up. Cost? Want team do you recommend?
To each his own.. But if you didn't build it, figure out how to make it fast, and earn it. How much pride do you really have in winning? Lets go buy it mentality:(

Isn't WKA non existent these days? Do They still have National Dirt and sprint racing events?
I know that just one spot under a teams tent with your own equipment to run the Rotax Nationals next week is around $2300.00 plus I think you have to have qualified to enter with regional races.

I assume since you mentioned WKA, you're talking about sprint racing. If that's the case and you clearly don't want to own your own equipment, I also assume you want to get your kid into a car ASAP.
I'd contact a couple of SKUSA teams (google it) and see what's available and pricing. Then contact some more local shops and see what, if anything they might offer. If your driver has no or little racing experience, you should also hire a driving coach for each event. As Freezeman suggests, depending on the level of competition you're after, it WILL be costly! A year or two of karting, ASSUMING he shows a LOT of promise, it's time for a car. Again, assuming you don't want to own your own equipment, Skip Barber Racing or something similar might be your next step. We did it for one season ( that was a financial wake up call) with Skip Barber in their Eastern Series. We budgeted $3000 per event for an 8 event series. Ya, pricey! That was in 1997, so figure $5000+ per event now.
IF he's good and you want to go the next level....likely $100,000 per season will get you a ride in something.
Regular folks, unless you have a rich uncle, will run out of money real quick!
We did.
Skip Barber was Great, and IF we had the money, we'd still be doing it.....but we don't have that level of play money! So we road race karts. Karts are great fun, best bang for the buck, you DO really learn how to race, you won't break the bank if you use your head, and you make life long friends. Wouldn't give it up for anything!!
Have fun,
Clark Gaynor Sr.

Isn't WKA non existent these days? Do They still have National Dirt and sprint racing events?
I know that just one spot under a teams tent with your own equipment to run the Rotax Nationals next week is around $2300.00 plus I think you have to have qualified to enter with regional races.
They announced last week that in 2021 there will be an all-new Dirt Tour

4B3EF988-A327-4046-AD40-BDB537ADC44F.png

Stiffie clutches used to rent out champ karts for the indoor shows, $1500 pretty sure plus damages show up with your helmet bag and drive, always fast stuff... thought about that route by the time you buy tires and rebuild the engine your ahead of the game

From my understanding every team has an option where you pay them x amount of money and they will do your tires. Getting a full ride with everything included I'm sure is also an option for a much larger fee. The problem is every kart team right now is pretty stacked. I can't think of any big team that doesnt already have a jr1, jr 2, jr 3 and several adult drivers. Most teams only fill one spot per class. Premier may be the only exception of this.

https://thepremierkart.com/pages/premier-pricing
This is premiers site. They charge $425 for flat kart and $500 for champ. This link should take you right to it at the bottom says rental program.
Thats just kart, no motor, gear, tires. Its $200 a day to add a clone motor. And if i remember correctly, its like $200 per day per class for tires. Have no clue on gear, but cant think that be an issue for anyone who affords the rental program.

Back