What is your dream racing engine

I ran an asphalt sprint car once with an injected 377 inch small block Chevy (350 crank in a 4*1/8 bore 400 Chev block. The best part was that it was reverse rotation. It revved like a 302 Chev (also short stroke/big bore) but the best part was the way it squatted the left side of the car down on acceleration. Wonderful to drive accelerating out of the corners.

Lots of references to 410 sprint car engines in this thread. That's still the ultimate race car for me.
Having owned several over the years. I can assure you all that the dream for most of us would be to afford maintaining current engines!

The Ferrari V12 always intrigued me. Something about the sound of 20,000+ rpms.

Thanks,
Brian Carlson

Lots of references to 410 sprint car engines in this thread. That's still the ultimate race car for me.
Having owned several over the years. I can assure you all that the dream for most of us would be to afford maintaining current engines!

The Ferrari V12 always intrigued me. Something about the sound of 20,000+ rpms.

Thanks,
Brian Carlson
Yeah, we bought 1, and learned quickly it's cheaper to lease the engines

I ran an asphalt sprint car once with an injected 377 inch small block Chevy (350 crank in a 4*1/8 bore 400 Chev block. The best part was that it was reverse rotation. It revved like a 302 Chev (also short stroke/big bore) but the best part was the way it squatted the left side of the car down on acceleration. Wonderful to drive accelerating out of the corners.
How did you start the reverse rotation

How did you start the reverse rotation
The rear diff. is reversed also and still direct drive, so push starting was the same. The car def. drove differently though. Tim Engler (famous for his injection today) used this in the early '90s or so, taking from his multiple engine pulling tractor experience. I remember Gaerte doing some testing with it about the same time when he was doing our engines. Tim ran the AllStar circuit with us for a while. SUPER nice guy and would do anything for you. Definitely an innovator.

Cosworth T.50

Engine Spec

No. cylinders:
Capacity: 3,994cc
V-angle: 65°
Power: 652 bhp
Aspiration: Naturally aspirated
Bore: 81.5 mm
Stroke: 63.8 mm
Compression ratio: 14:1
Max power: 663 PS @ 11,500 rpm
Power to weight ratio: 672 PS per tonne
Weight to power ratio: 150 kg per 100 PS
Max torque: 467 Nm @ 9,000 rpm
Flexibility: 71% of max torque @ 2,500 rpm
Maximum rpm: 12,100 rpm
Valve train: Gear driven double overhead camshafts
Inclined axis 4 valves per cylinder – variable valve timing on inlet / exhaust
Induction system:
RAM induction airbox – 4 throttle bodies – Direct Path Induction Sound
Exhaust system: Inconel and Titanium
Lubrication system: Dry sump
Cooling system: Water-cooled – twin aluminium front radiators
Oil cooling system: Single aluminium rear radiator
Ignition system: 12 individual coils 12-volt
Starter/alternator: 48-volt gear driven integrated starter / generator
Exhaust emission control: 4 catalytic convertors with Lambda sensors and secondary air injection
Engine block: Aluminium alloy
Cylinder heads: Aluminium alloy
Connection rods: Titanium
Valves: Titanium
Total engine weight: 178 kg
Engine mounting: Semi-structural-inclined axis shear mounting (IASM)
Power density: 166 PS-per-litre
T.50-engine-–-Cosworth-GMA-V12-005.png

Back