What kind of kart is this?

guitarman715

I have a friend of mine that has this kart, he said if he remembers correctly it is called a "zip kart" but he is unsure. I am trying to help him out so he can sell it or potentially buy it from him. What kind of kart is this? Could this kart run in the "TAG" or "Rotax" series at GoPro? Thanks!

IMG_20140727_145401.jpg

IMG_20140727_150416.jpg

Rocket chassis used that same style of body work and where painted blue. I don't remember the spindles being gold/yellow color though. Russell karting sold the Rocket brand. It has a tab for a water pump, so it should work for Tag or Rotax. Looks like it is in good condition. Would just need brake caliper.

That is a Top Kart. Probably from the late 90's or early 2000's. It could be used in tag but I wouldn't. There is a lot of time and money it would take to get that kart ready.

Thanks guys. How much is it worth like it sets? I have tires, wheels, and gears to go with it. The rotax motor probably needs a rebuild on it.

A chassis of that vintage, with working brakes, is worth around $500-600. The Rotax would need to be brought to current specs, and have passport, etc., probably a $600 process. The engine is worth around $800-1000 as it sets.... If you can get the package for $1500, probably worth it. For someone new to sprint karting, this would be a great package to start with if everything works and the bottom of the chassis doesn't have bad flat spotting.

I'm setting up a mid 90's chassis now for KT-100 Yamaha racing, and just got an almost complete 2012 Intrepid chassis. If you're interested in the Intrepid, I can make you a deal.

PS - there's a little tag welded onto the rear crossbar that you can just see in the top pic. It's near the bracket for the water pump. If you can get a pic of that and post it, we can tell you more about the kart...

I am not buying this kart as I decided that I need to focus on my KT100 kart. Anyways, I am still trying to get as much info as possible about this kart because I am going to sell it for my friend. I got him to take a picture of the tag. Here it is. Thanks for all the info so far!

IMG952014072895161040.jpg

That confirms that it's a ZIP kart, and was homologated for competition by the FIA / CIK in 02, therefore the chassis is 2002 to 2007. The bodywork is consistent with that time period too.
http://www.zipkart.com/, though there's no info on this chassis "FOCUS" there. Martin Hines, company founder, is now sadly RIP.

Local chassis?

Thanks for that info! I will be listing it for sale soon. The chassis is located in Virginia but if someone in NC is interested I can go get it, it is near my hometown of South Boston, VA.

Zips were a good chassis, they could be a little difficult to set up and adjust as they had what I perceived to be a bit of a small "sweet spot". The kart looks to be in ood shape, just missing a few things. I would tend to price the setup a bit more conservatively than Ted would. Based on the vintage of the engine, a total rebuild and reseal with parts updates would be needed (somewhere north of $900 for labor, parts and passport)

I would think that an offer in the $750 to $900 range would be a fair offer. Needs a rear bumper update and a nose replaced, wheels and tires, a righetti ridolfi brake caliper and lines, etc...etc....

It is a nice Kart!! Good luck with the sale. If I had the cash I would make an offer on it.

Back