What needs doing after how long?

Dryslick13

For standard LO206 used for sprint racing. So besides basic maintenance, what needs replacing/adjusting after how much use? I figure the valves should be adjusted every couple of race weekend. Head bolts torqued after 4-5 races. How long before valve springs need replacing or valve seats need to be cut? Anything else need regular attentions?

For standard LO206 used for sprint racing. So besides basic maintenance, what needs replacing/adjusting after how much use? I figure the valves should be adjusted every couple of race weekend. Head bolts torqued after 4-5 races. How long before valve springs need replacing or valve seats need to be cut? Anything else need regular attentions?
I'll bet there have been books written on this subject. Maybe somebody will suggest a few?

A lot of variables is it a 4100 RPM engine or 6100 RPM, is it a long track max RPM. These engines are long lasting, reliable, springs last for ever. Do a leakdown it shows valve leakage, you will hear it don't worry about percentage just listen. We went 4 1/2 seasons same engine, valves lapped once, then head gasket failures, but the engine had been flogged, 4 track championships in a row.

black slide and 6100 rpm coil. Track is long and fast 2 strait where limiter would bump at the end. 6 races a year, so sounds like I can just change the oil regularly, adjust the valves on occasion and go race. I like that!

From my experience...

You'll want to take a deeper look into the engine: including but not limited to replacing head gasket, valve springs, touch up valves and seats, ex gasket, spark plug, fuel filter & fuel lines. Yes, generally springs are good for much longer but since I've got them out, I replace them with new ones. Clean carb thoroughly (ultra-sonic cleaner is what we use.)
Right around $100-$125 (all parts & labor included) on a 206 rebuild.

20-25 race days for oval racing.
12-15 sprint race days.
3-4 enduro (1/2 hour and 45 minute mains) race days.

Keep an eye on head bolt torque and valve lash regularly (each race day is not too often.) Be sure to torque head bolts COLD (not hot!)
-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
26 years of service to the karting industry
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

How often depends on some variables.
If it's a dirt oval then the thing that causes trouble more than anything else is the dirt that gets inside the engine.

If it's a sprint motor it's going to depend on how long you run the motor per race and how hard the motor works.
If it works really hard coming off the corners and builds a lot of heat doing so it requires more frequent attention.
If the kart and driver are heavy it likewise requires more frequent attention.
If you use sticky tires it requires more frequent attention.
If the kart is bound up it also requires more frequent attention.
How close you wrap the header to the flange to the head even has an affect.
If you race enduros (1/2 hour at a time) it will require more frequent attention.
If you race in an extremely hot climate.
Anything that causes the motor to run hotter than normal is a contributing factor for more frequent head refreshing and head gasket replacement.
You can see that there are a lot of variables so giving a specific number of hours of run time is impossible.
Therefore, my answer is that the head should be refreshed by a competent person AT LEAST once each season.
IF YOU WANT TO BE SURE YOUR ENGINE IS AT PEAK PERFORMANCE
Just lapping the valves is often not sufficient.

If you're anything like me, you're going to want to play with that kart during the week. Having the tools to check things would be high on my list of priorities. A leak down tester would be 1st on my list for checking the compression at home. I would check the engine after every race. Some will say that's a waste of time, but during the week I have lots of time. So what if I waste a little!

Another thing I would be checking is the clutch engagement rpm. Have you heard about my plan to use a bathroom scale between the front of the kart and a strong wall? It's a good way to check the stall RPM.

The idea of not performing regular maintenance on my kart is just not an idea I could live with. When I get to the track, the last thing I want to do is slow down because I failed to check something.

Back