What octane fuel

Octane is the measurement of a fuel's ability to resist detonation. Detonation is mainly caused by excessive heat and/or pressure. As the octane number goes up, the fuel's ability to resist detonation goes up. High compression engines make more HP than low compression engines, all else being equal. So it's not the octane that makes power, it's the increased compression that makes it. It's just that; if you have more compression, you need a fuel with more octane.

i run 91 ethanol free in my fourwheelers and lawn mower. I guess i have to get a few gallons of the devils 87 with ethanol to put in the kart... that sucks, hopefully it doesn't sit long enough to see the effects of ethanol

Last edited:
Racing where there are no spec fuel and or fuel checks .
What harm is there in running non ethanol 91 octane fuel ?

Racing where there are no spec fuel and or fuel checks .
What harm is there in running non ethanol 91 octane fuel ?
Well technically I guess there is a 87 only fuel rule at slippery Rock... So if I have 91, it's illegal. Even if I'm only just trying to avoid ethanol.

Always drain or run dry. That helps a bunch .

My boat carbs never corrodes , with the fuel oil mix it sets a lot .
Course prolly blow a fuel test .

Well technically I guess there is a 87 only fuel rule at slippery Rock... So if I have 91, it's illegal. Even if I'm only just trying to avoid ethanol.
I doubt your track has the ability to determine the octane rating of the fuel. The digitron tester measure conductivity and compares to a known sample. So trying to enforce an octane rating is not really valid.

Back