What should i do ?

CodyH00

I have limited experience with karts raced for 1.5 years a while back. The success we did have was almost definitely luck lol. So my questions is should I get the video series prc sells to boost my over all knowledge or get the tech tools to build engines ? Little back story here, I'm a machinist and we are now going to be letting my son race red plate, if I let him do it his younger brothers are going to want too ( 3 more boys ). I'm not gonna be able to afford to field three built motors unless I do it myself.

To be more successful set - up and TIRES is where it's at, but If the only way the whole family is able to race is you must do the motors that's better than not being able to, just the fact of trying to race 4 boys will make it hard to get more successful.

Good Luck !!

If you have a question about setup you could ask anything on here and most guys will steer you in the right direction.

As far as the whole family I have 2 year gaps between each one being old enough and I plan on teaching them enough to be able to help me some. And my brother will more than likely be helping. Also I'm not saying that i wont be buying both eventually. Just looking for what is going to help more initially.

Also plan to run the kid kart class at TCK in nc. Until he gets comfortable enough to run beginner red plate so engine isn't really critical right now.

You don't need to build the engines to the Nth degree in the first year of karting. Just configure them for racing and work on driver development and chassi set up.

Thanks for all the answers. I think I will get the DVDs from prc and try to learn as much as I can before I have to start learning from experience

Also plan to run the kid kart class at TCK in nc. Until he gets comfortable enough to run beginner red plate so engine isn't really critical right now.
Tires and set up, and driver, there will become more important than a top of the line motor, even though its a fast track. With that being said its a good biting track, momentum for the kids is crucial there.
Scotty Hales, the promoter, is a very good guy.

Not discounting the value of the PRC tapes, but...
Spend some serious time reading on here as well. It costs you nothing but time (and a small yearly contribution to the owner of the site if you please.)

Buying the tech tools and specialty equipment to build these engines will likely cost you more than buying four top of the line new engines.
Just the tools required to tech the engine to be legal will run you over $1000. I've done tech for years and have around $5000 in tools that I take to the track to tech just 4 different engines now.

If you buy some blueprinted parts to start off with, you can save some dough for sure.
This like low tension rings, blueprinted head, carb, cam, and tuned pipe package will save you a lot of headache in assemblying your own engine. Granted, you don't get to use your machinist skills as much, but you also won't have to worry about making anything illegal or experimenting with what works and what probably doesn't. :)

-----
?Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
30 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

To be more successful set - up and TIRES is where it's at, but If the only way the whole family is able to race is you must do the motors that's better than not being able to, just the fact of trying to race 4 boys will make it hard to get more successful.

Good Luck !!
We run three and I try different things on each one. When I find something that works I apply it to all three and move on to the next thing.
3 karts is 3 times the amount of work, but I can try several changes throughout the course of a night.

I appreciate it I will definitely keep that in mind. This forum has been a huge help already. I just wish there was more of a kart scene in tucson,az because I never would have stopped racing to begin with. But we got orders to nc so here we go again lol

Back