What size tires and wheels (Burris)

Most treaded tires for the RR rollout more than 34" ? If you are running an 800x6 I would buy a 7.10 to try? You might end up with a 5" wheel on LR?

5.50 Hoosier on the left rear. Easy enough to get there with the 5.50...the 6.50 will roll out too close to 34" even on a wide lr wheel.
For this reason, we often run 6.50 right sides and 5.50 left sides to get the sizes of treads back to what they should be for a flat kart.
Using a wide tire on the left rear will make the car push like a truck center-off or when you're on the throttle. If you decide to go that route, you'll probably end up on stupid low cross (even negative - ie 48%) to make that deal work.

Personally, I'd run the smaller tires I described and a lot of your set-up woes will go away as you can go back to a normal flat kart set-up like you run with slicks.

-----
?Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
30 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

5.50 Hoosier on the left rear. Easy enough to get there with the 5.50...the 6.50 will roll out too close to 34" even on a wide lr wheel.
For this reason, we often run 6.50 right sides and 5.50 left sides to get the sizes of treads back to what they should be for a flat kart.
Using a wide tire on the left rear will make the car push like a truck center-off or when you're on the throttle. If you decide to go that route, you'll probably end up on stupid low cross (even negative - ie 48%) to make that deal work.

Personally, I'd run the smaller tires I described and a lot of your set-up woes will go away as you can go back to a normal flat kart set-up like you run with slicks.

-----
?Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
30 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Thanks,

Everybody seems to lean towards the hoosier so I'm going to have to wait until I can afford a new set. Again, what size wheels are recommended for the 5.50 and 6.50 hoosiers?

Ancient Chinese secret -- that's one I won't let out of the bag as we've found a combination that works awesome and I don't make that public knowledge to help protect our customers' investment. You won't likely be able to mount them on your own the way that we do them. You are welcome to buy a set that we've built and measure them though. :)

Ill just let my son run these burris until I can get a new set. Or I guess I can play with all the extra wheels I have laying around. Thanks.

The stagger you desire is easy to get. But having a 34" RR might not be? Id buy the 12x9.00x6 for the RR and a 11x7.1x5 for the LR. Then gear accordingly for the larger right rear.

The stagger you desire is easy to get. But having a 34" RR might not be? Id buy the 12x9.00x6 for the RR and a 11x7.1x5 for the LR. Then gear accordingly for the larger right rear.

I have a new set, that have the desired stagger. But the RR is 37 1/4". From what I've been reading thats way too big for a red plate clone. Or even any restricted clone. So I wanted to get all four tires down in size to save weight and rolling resistance.

Last edited:
I have a new set, that have the desired stagger. But the RR is 37 1/4". From what I've been reading thats way too big for a red plate clone. Or even any restricted clone. So I wanted to get all four tires down in size to save weight and rolling resistance.

Exactly. Those tires were designed for the 250 & 500 cc winged outlaw karts that can bust the tires loose and throwing rooster tails of race track in the air at will.
You're so under-powered that these same tires are pulling your engine rpm down = not fast.

For it to be even worth a shot you need to change gear ratio to offset the larger tire rollout. Maybe it wont work better? Maybe it will? You will never know until you try. Without doing any math I would add 3 or 4 teeth to the axle and try it, or do some math and know you have the same total gearing. Its easy to go back to your current setup. Good Luck either way!

Even with the same gearing, those big tires will be slower. Just waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much weight and drag pulling those huge treaded tires around the track with very limited HP. Again, those tires were designed to handle the big engine classes.

I never thought about it until now... but why not throw slicks on it. This will fix it all and no messing around with the treads. We have an open tire rule.

You certainly can (if allowed) but if there are several guys running treads, chances are that they are picking up the track and laying it back down as marbles in the racing line = no grip with slicks. You can always groove your slicks as well - we do that plenty, especially right sides with Vegas.

I think you'd be better on slicks (not knowing the track) than on treads -- unless the class right before you is all treads and tears the track up a bunch.

Even with the same gearing, those big tires will be slower. Just waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much weight and drag pulling those huge treaded tires around the track with very limited HP. Again, those tires were designed to handle the big engine classes.

I must be confused? We ran Burris TX-11 treaded tires 12x800x6 with our Kt's in 1982 way before there was such a thing as a big engine kart class. But I do agree with you, knowing what I know now Id be on slicks if the track even almost packs.

I must be confused? We ran Burris TX-11 treaded tires 12x800x6 with our Kt's in 1982 way before there was such a thing as a big engine kart class. But I do agree with you, knowing what I know now Id be on slicks if the track even almost packs.

Im working with a restricted red plate clone.

Back