what to adjust to move weigh on scales

ok so i got my sons kart all put together and on the scale today. a few things im off on tho and i couldnt make work. his class has no weight limit and with him dressed helmet and kart weighs in at 200# even. his weights are listed as such LF-30 RF 60
LR 70 RR 40
from the setup sheet legend sent me
104-107 for the left side currently at 100
104-107 for the rear currently 110
116-120 for cross currently 130

my staggers are all what they need to be and camber is what it should be.
i tried moving tires in and out. and couldnt get anything to change to much. what can i do to bring the weights into the ballpark that the setup sheet calls for. or is it close enough for a 5 year old in a rookie class.

You should be looking for % not lbs.
Get Al Nunley's spreadsheet and punch in the %'s you want to run.
It'll give you the lbs/wheel and lots of other useful info.

I use AN's program every time I do setups.
He graciously gives it to anyone who asks and it is an asset to any racing program.

And you don't need to worry about the rear.
It's Front%, Cross%, Left%.
Rear% sort takes care of itself.
Right now you should be in the 47%Frt, 61%Cross, 55% Left neighborhood. (It's a guess. Don't flame me.)

That's 45 nose, 50 left and 65 cross. I'd scoot the seat to the left or add five or ten pounds to the left side to get to 52 or 53 left. I'd probably leave the nose for now and I'd raise the RF tire or lower the LF to bring the cross down to 58 or 62. On the tire locations I'd put them to wherever the manufacturer recommends and not use them to try to get your percentages right.

Finally, in your situation I wouldn't obsess about the setup as the first priority is going to be to get your kid comfortable so they'll drive it.

Todd
www.dynamicsofspeed.com

i have percentages, i just thought weights would be easier and he is very comfortable. and hes getting good at driving and understand how fast he can go and how fast he cant lol

All of the above is excellent. I'd worry more about being sure he is completely comfortable in the kart and has fun at this point. The more comfortable the driver is will give him/her more confidence in what the kart can and can't do, then you can worry about setups. Just keep the chassis at a good baseline for now.

Ben Braun

i have percentages, i just thought weights would be easier and he is very comfortable. and hes getting good at driving and understand how fast he can go and how fast he cant lol

Wow sounds like you got it covered, no help needed. Bumpy and Ltg gives great info, I would listen.

That was my thought. I made sure the seat and pedals steering wheel everything was comfortable and safe.just trying to get it where it drives easy so he doesn't get frustrated and have to fight it.

That was my thought. I made sure the seat and pedals steering wheel everything was comfortable and safe.just trying to get it where it drives easy so he doesn't get frustrated and have to fight it.

Does what you just said mean you have everything covered but your 5 year old is complaining about it being hard to turn?

Is everything ok and your looking to do something to make it easier to turn, without messing everything up?

I think but I'm not sure reducing caster is what's generally talked about on here that doesn't make much of a difference, except for driver preference. If i'm on the right path, maybe you could let us know and others could throw in more accurate info on it. I think you would reduce caster evenly on both sides, but i'll leave it for others to tell you better.

ps... is this a cage or flat kart?

No it drives very good. But I haven't changed much from when we bought it.it was setup for jr2. And I just adjusted I to fit him. Wasn't saying its hard to drive. Just trying to make it as easy as possible. And was trying to get all weight numbers to match what the legend paper says for jr1.

Back