What to use to cut tires with?

i use 7 in grinder with 120grit flap wheel on it spray tire with simple green and water spin tire and goto work keep tire wet so u dont burn rubber

A machine of some type will do it the fastest and the truest and it can be done by hand makeing them the same profile by hand would be quite the challange being true when your done is what you will want when you are finished and the correct size you are looking for good luck !

i use 7 in grinder with 120grit flap wheel on it spray tire with simple green and water spin tire and goto work keep tire wet so u dont burn rubber

That isn't cutting tires though, thats just resurfacing them. He's asking about how to cut them by hand. The bondo file works good once you get the hang on how to use it. At Autozone they sell a bondo file with a file holder for about 8 bucks, thats what I use.

Thanks again for all the info here guys. I am lucky enough to be allowed the use of a jones tire cutter for the 2015 season.

That's better yet - use of top of the line equipment and don't have to pay for it.

Might be a nice gesture to buy the owner a couple of cutter bits. (hint-hint) ;)

I personally do not cut my tires. Todd Wills at Edge Cutz does cuts my tires with his Jones. So I'm of little help. Cut them once then just resurface weekly. I do the resurfacing. Just a 4 1/2" grinder and a 60grit disc. Spray the tire with racing alcohol to keep it cool surface then wipe down with acrysol. Let dry and put a coat of prep on. That's my method.

Fyi.... 1500 rpm is the equivalent of turning the engine 6000 rpm on the chassis with a 16/62 gear.
better hold on tight too the file.
It may work, just seems pretty fast.

What RPM are the actual tire cutters spinning at? Not the tire surfacers with bondo files. Ive got a buddy with a lathe who is going to do it for me but hes never done tires. I ordered a bit from carlson.

I never checked ours but it wasn't real fast .
Maybe 60-150 . ?
It was variable speed also .

Last edited:
Back