What would you do?

ftgokie

We will be racing at a track next weekend that basically has no rules for my 12yr old sons clone class.

I have a 2012 Jody Pierce clone, but I put a CL2 cam in it. It runs great, but we will not even be remotely competitive next weekend at the track with no rules. This will be our last race on this kart and this motor before we go to brand new Slack karts and new motors.

What would you do to this motor to get more HP? Our kart is hooked up and we will just need a little more HP to hang with the others. This is a small track 1/10th and they will allow higher octane fuel...We do not want to go to alcohol, just a higher octane fuel

Higher octane will not help you... and what do you mean by basically no rules.. that would imply that there are some rules..

Hi octane does not translate into more power. and is not needed in stock clones with 8ish to 1 compression. hi octane is for hi compression engines to stop detonation. or pinging.
Using higher octane than needed neither hurts nor helps....

Higer octane does not mean more power!! Higher octane means you can run more compression and more compression means more HP.
Octane is a measure of a fuels ability to resistes detonation, Tells us the CC’s in you head and maybe someone can tell you what octane to run. Remember; compression is the Holy Grail.

Flattop piston
Billet Rod (If dont already have)
14cc head
.615 or bigger carb
Better springs with 1.3 ratio rocker on intake valve for more lift (Check coil bind)
930 pipe

As said before depending on what you do you may get away with regular gas. If you dont shave the head or flat top piston no need for race fuels.

Well, the track says its AKRA rules....we have always been legal at any track we go to. But the last time we were at this track everyone was pulling away from my son... I checked gearing and it was basically what everyone else was running. We have a 2 disc bully clutch a 2 disc Martin built Touch clutch and an SMC Red vortex clutch. We were running the SMC red vortex this night and the clutch was brand new. When I started talking to the other dads, they were saying that since the track does not tech at all they pretty much build the clones to whatever they want....one guy had billet crank, rod, flat top piston, Black mamba jr cam with 26# valve springs, racesenge billet roller rockers, ported big valve head...

We had basically an updated fresh motor and they were all walking away from my son. We have brand new Vega tires on the cart and the kart was hooked up so that's not the problem. My son was driving the **** out of his kart but it was like he was in a class with a stock clone motor and everyone else had built to the hilt animal motors. We just want to race and finish up this season and then next year we will start fresh and not race at this particular track because nobody follows the rules.

I just need to know a few things to order so we can get this motor built so we can hang with the other 9-10 karts that are usually there.

The motor we are running right now is AKRA legal. And pretty much forget that I said higher octane...I know nobody is running alcohol in my sons class at this particular track

Personally I wouldn't do anything if your not planing on racing there next season. Why spend all the time and money for a motor that you more than likely wont be using next year? IMHO if your going to build a motor, build one to the specks for the track you plan on running next season.

Just my 2 cents

Vic

Personally I wouldn't do anything if your not planing on racing there next season. Why spend all the time and money for a motor that you more than likely wont be using next year? IMHO if your going to build a motor, build one to the specks for the track you plan on running next season.

Just my 2 cents

Vic

I am going to use this motor as my motor next year in the Mod class

Oh than that changes things lol. In that case I would build something that will stay within the rules of the mod class you plan to run it in next year.
What to do is a very hard question to answer, as your going to get different suggestions from everyone. Much of this will boil down to motor rules [ if any ] your ability's , how much you want to invest, ect.

What are the rules for the mod class you plan to run it in? This will help with advice .

Vic

springs, ratio rocker those are cheap and will help a little or come as you are make them tech raise a stench ,you're not going back any how

No spring and rocker in the world is gonna make a huge difference. Sounds like you need more full horsepower, not tenths. Its not that easy to pick up that much power. A mod2 cam, and a S/A type carb would be a big jump IMO

No spring and rocker in the world is gonna make a huge difference. Sounds like you need more full horsepower, not tenths. Its not that easy to pick up that much power. A mod2 cam, and a S/A type carb would be a big jump IMO

Ok, so a Mod 2 cam and what carb would you get?

I would want a .650 to .670 venture S/A carb. I have one for sale, I ran it on a basically stock Predator (had a header, air filter adapter, and advanced timing), It picked it up over a 1/2hp. I will take $85.00 for it shipped. I really don't know who to recommend other wise. Dover has there S/A carb, but I think there is a wait on them (it was), and they will set it up for gas or meth. (For a bigger pick up methanol would really help).

No one thing is gonna get you where you want to be. Barry is right, you need a carb, and it will help. But you also need a cam, and a flat top piston and a small chamber head and port work and bigger ss valves and big header and billet rod and ratio rockers and it all tuned to make the most power. 496BB in post #5 had a good list. Good luck. And like Barry said, alky will help a ton.

Well, the track says its AKRA rules....we have always been legal at any track we go to. But the last time we were at this track everyone was pulling away from my son... I checked gearing and it was basically what everyone else was running. We have a 2 disc bully clutch a 2 disc Martin built Touch clutch and an SMC Red vortex clutch. We were running the SMC red vortex this night and the clutch was brand new. When I started talking to the other dads, they were saying that since the track does not tech at all they pretty much build the clones to whatever they want....one guy had billet crank, rod, flat top piston, Black mamba jr cam with 26# valve springs, racesenge billet roller rockers, ported big valve head...

We had basically an updated fresh motor and they were all walking away from my son. We have brand new Vega tires on the cart and the kart was hooked up so that's not the problem. My son was driving the **** out of his kart but it was like he was in a class with a stock clone motor and everyone else had built to the hilt animal motors. We just want to race and finish up this season and then next year we will start fresh and not race at this particular track because nobody follows the rules.

I just need to know a few things to order so we can get this motor built so we can hang with the other 9-10 karts that are usually there.

The motor we are running right now is AKRA legal. And pretty much forget that I said higher octane...I know nobody is running alcohol in my sons class at this particular track

If it's supposed to be under rules, why not follow the rule book and protest the winner(s) ?

If it's supposed to be under rules, why not follow the rule book and protest the winner(s) ?

It would be protesting everyone in my sons class....and with it not being our track we race its more trouble than its worth. Simply because its the last race, and we will not race there again so its more trouble than its worth to be honest. The motor that we are going to modify this week will be one of my motors for next year anyways.

If it was going to be our regular track I would raise hell to have everyone on a level playing field. Honestly we dont like the track because its so small and poorly run, we are just going there this weekend because the rest of the tracks around us are finished for the year and we just wanna race...but might as well be competative......if we run our legal motor we will not even be able to hang and we will just be out there driving. I want my son to at least be able to give them a run for thier money...otherwise, we do not cheat...period!

Ok, this is how new I am to this....what is an s/a carb?

s/a= stock appearing (looking) like the others are saying just a carb and cam change isn't going to do a whole lot for you, if the others are running ARC rods, flat top piston, higher compression, head work , heavier springs, 1.3 rockers, etc you will be just wasting your money

I just ordered roller rockers a billet crank, billet rod, flat top piston...we will have basically the same motor they will have now

Back