What would you recommend?

I’m a two stroke guy but I do enjoy the superstock/small block open racing quite a bit. Light hot shoe, rolling across the scales at 320 on any industrial motor. Top end and a ton of over-rev isn't need at the tracks we run. What would you get in my situation? (Motor make, cam/crank/stroke/bore/head work/valve train etc). Lots of mild built Chinese stuff around here, personally not a fan of dumping the money into something with such awful castings and quality control.

Your options are limited . Its the briggs animal , clone predator .
Or the big flatheads , blockzilla or star (hard to source parts) .
The big billet jr drag stuff .
The tilliston block does look good .

Kt 100 is about as easy as anything .
The other spanish, italian et all piston ports would be a close second except
Parts avalibility .
A small 100cc reed jet isnt much more then a kt .
Now if you need a legal class engine thats a little more involved , though not improbable .

I
i know this is a joke. I've never built one or had one apart. Whats a good "cheap" platform to learn on?

I can run a fully built 131 Sudam or a 250 cheaper than an open modified 14.5, and have twice the reliability and HP with half the maintenance. More strokes = more problems! Ha

is it harder to drive a 2 cycle than a 4 cycle? your thoughts please
A KT (on dirt) is easier imo. Very predictable and so much fun to drive. Plus more power than a clone and competitive on tight bullrings with a good driver. The 116-150cc opens drive much different. I prefer them because my low weight, and the ability to get off early and back on before the apex which makes for some insane roll speed that the big heavy combos can’t replicate unless their tire and chassis game is flawless. (Seldom if ever). When the open 2 cycles hit the pipe it can feel violent but you get used to it and learn how to brace for it and not let the kart get out of control. It’s all about feel, Staying in the pipe/powerband minimizing clutch slip, and maintaining as much roll speed as possible. That said, I race my dad’s open small blocks and they are fun in their own way. A lot less thought, more wheel finesse and a very smooth/predictable powerband. Many flavors in the open racing world. I’ve put multiple friends who aren’t two stroke guys in the slightest behind the wheel of my insanity mode two stroke and all of them pulled off the tracks grinning ear to ear. It’s a bug you can’t shake once you try it.

Thanks twostroke for the feed back! I have a Iame Leopard 125cc and the clutch was setup at 10300 and I race on a dry dusty bullring and it was like trying to ride a bucking bronco. LOL I set the clutch springs to the lowest possible setting of 330. I have not raced it yet but I'm going to have to learn how to drive on a dry dusty one groove track. Any words of wisdom? TIA

Gearing a little too tall can help with spin in some cases, but isn't optimal. Calibrating the right foot is better, or riding the cushion better yet.

I would recommend an S4 or CRE6 for a gas 125. I know they’re 100cc pipes but they’ll balance out that motor a good bit. You could try a KB06 but you’ll get a ton of bottom end and I’m not sure that’ll help.

Back