Whats going to happen in the karting world

Colt sr

I saw that briggs and stratton filed for bankruptcy on the news the other day. Does this mean that we will all be running clones in the near future?

alvin l nunley

Premium User
Don't accept this as fact, but my understanding is that chapter 11 bankruptcy allows a company to stay in business, with protection from creditors, until they can reorganize. It doesn't mean they're not going to go out of business, as far as I know, but we'll have to wait and see. You can't take is to the bank though, because I'm no expert on the subject. Not even close!

01ron

Most of my flatheads started out as rototiller engines or pumps. It was not until they came out with the Raptor engines that I felt like I actually had a karting engine. Even then, I had some commercial use engines (steel bore dual bearing IC) that were always my go to engines.

Aren't the clones already dominating kart racing in most areas?
Back when Briggs & Stratton came in to dominate kart racing, they saw an opportunity (McCulloch was getting out). Briggs offered the WKA sponsorship in return for a rules rewrite that heavily favored its brand (several new classes of Briggs engines only).

Today we don't have a sanctioning body that is as dominant as WKA was, and the clone manufacturers are a loose group of foreign factories that only build engines on a contract basis (and those manufacturers come and go). So we don't have the same conditions as we did back in the Briggs / WKA days.

Racers will race whatever they can get their hands on, and tracks will adopt to whatever appears to be most popular with their racers. So it could be anything, but currently the mishmash of clones are favored. With a sour economy, and with kart racing being a very small percentage of the revenue that small engine manufacturers see, I doubt that any one manufacturer will pony up to the old Briggs / WKA level. If Briggs shuts down its Animal and LO206 efforts, kart racing will go back to its race-what-you-can-find roots... which is where it is already headed with the clones.

spincycle

Premium User
Don't accept this as fact, but my understanding is that chapter 11 bankruptcy allows a company to stay in business, with protection from creditors, until they can reorganize. It doesn't mean they're not going to go out of business, as far as I know, but we'll have to wait and see. You can't take is to the bank though, because I'm no expert on the subject. Not even close!
Yes, they get to reorganize while debts are pretty much in limbo....this gives MGMT time to decide where to trim fat and/or eliminate unprofitable facets of the business, I have no idea all of what things they have their hands in, but I would have to believe that karting is near the bottom of their priority list...🤔

mike97760

Premium User
Who was the guy from Briggs who used to post on Bobs from time to time? I always enjoyed reading his comments.

Ted Hamilton

Design Drafter / Racer
A key example in why orgs shouldn't get in bed with manufacturers....they should write a SPECIFICATION that any manufacturer can meet, and let the chips fall where they may. As far as I'm concerned, set the bore and stroke and intake / exhaust size and timing, and have at it...