Whats it take to convert from FH to Clone?

Other than the obvious motor change, what all is needed to convert to clone from flathead ? I think I need a 5 or 8 ( ?) degree motor mount , floor mounted fuel tank . Do I need a different throttle set up ? Need to hear it all. Just blew the flathead up, rod out the block , and thinking now may be a good time to switch over to clone . Love the flattys , but the clone will give my son more options as to tracks he can race at .

you'll have a different throttle cable hookup yes, the obvious fuel pump and fuel pump pulse hose & hole, motor mount I'm pretty sure are same same bolt pattern - watch for degree though, too angled and you may need to adjust float to comp the tilt, just the fuel delivery system and the throttle cable hookup as about all I can think of honestly.

The clone motors actually use the same motor mount that a flat head does. So your good there. Yes a fuel tank, but most clones come with a fuel pump on it. And you can keep your air filters also. Clones use same size filters as Flatheads. You may need a throttle bracket to attach to the motor, but the switch from flatty to clone is minimal other than adding a fuel tank.

There are so many different throttle systems on the market, top plate and all. You'll have to wait and see what's on the engine when you purchase, or decide what you put on if you're building. Other than that, clutch. Not sure which class you're running so might need to check available clutch options. Besides that, as said the mount and filters are the same. The tank and fuel filter pretty easy too.

Just get the Hitomi kit from Sanders Racing in Orem Utah. They have everything you need to convert from a sidewinder or flathead to a full OHV clone or bostrom-based f cycle.

I use a 15 degree mount and the motor runs fine. Because I am so tall, the 15 degree angle on the motor mount allows me to brace against the chain guard in the tight turns. I replaced my throttle cable and plastic housing when I changed from animal to clone. Yours may work or it may need to be a longer. If it's been a while, go ahead and change it. I had one break in a heat race one night. My son had to start in the back for the feature and that's no fun.

I believe the motor mount on the flatty is a 15 degree , the clone should have a 5 degree or so ???

The 15 degree works fine. Can you use the 5 or 7 degree? The answer is yes but, a lot of times the chain will chafe against the rear edge of the clutch guard due to the lower degree. I've seen animal guys running a clone $$ race notch out the guard so it wont interfere.

Wow...a 5 degree mount puts the filter awful close to the rear wheel...if there is any mud, or you have to run the track in it will get caked up on the filter.
5 degree mount on our Prowlers puts the air filter,1/2-3/4 inch away from the tire with a 15* filter...

Yes the air filter will be close. And I will be honest mud does get on the prefilter but not a extreme amount that it will make me have to buy another mount, plus you should have 3 filters (and 3 prefilters to cover them) u change after each run then after the weekend clean them and use them next week. And if u are not happy with it go 8 degrees but I would go no more.

Yes the air filter will be close. And I will be honest mud does get on the prefilter but not a extreme amount that it will make me have to buy another mount, plus you should have 3 filters (and 3 prefilters to cover them) u change after each run then after the weekend clean them and use them next week. And if u are not happy with it go 8 degrees but I would go no more.

We have ran the clone on a 15 deg. mount since day one, no problems what so ever
I'd like to see why this builder said to run a 5 deg.

I'll bet he does want that filter setting right on top of the tire . that just means less time between him making money off you

i have no problems at all, he does not take my money, and will still buy from him. what do you u use a 5 degree mount for then ?

Asphalt...5* will work....if worried about tire and mud, put a 1 1/2 street 45* on the angled filter with a rubber coupling on the adapter and it will clear by more than enough.

Back