Whats missing ?

Just raced last night and while cleaning the kart i noticed on the axle right beside the bearing 2 small set screws but nothing there and was wondering what piece could that have been that came off the axle while the tiny set screws still there ? I can tell by the looks that there was something there and it wasnt a collar lock , any idea what it could be ? Need to replace the part but have looked in book and still dont know what went there . Any help would be appreciatived

Could have been a lock collar or it was were the bearing was locked down . Did the axle slid ?
Have you owned it since new ?
Have you had the axle out ?

Yes i take the axle out after each night of racing and clean it , this is the first time i have notice it , its not for collar lock and its not from bearings . The axle aint moved cause i have collar locks on , the set screws thats there are real small , i can tell something was there by the looks of the axel

Some time then its been locked with the bearing setscrews .
You just never noticed them or located it in a slightly different place .

I went ahead and went to drilling through the axle and using a cap screw .
Them dimples are a pain when removing components.
Files , hammer and emery cloth . The hammer left the most stress marks :oops:

You don't need set screws. Either pin one bearing or run lock collars. Your life will go much easier for you.
If you have the axle out each week, did you not notice something missing previously?
I'm not sure what you could be missing, but I can assure you that you do not need set screws in the bearings if you pin one side or run lock collars.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
30 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Also, don't need to take the axle out every race. Maybe you put the axle back in the opposite way and that's why you're seeing set screw spots in funny places?

Also, don't need to take the axle out every race. Maybe you put the axle back in the opposite way and that's why you're seeing set screw spots in funny places?
Dirt oval racers take their axle out almost every weekend.
I have the only true clamshell axles cassettes so pulling the axle just takes a minute.
Pinning the axle is all chassis/track/driver preference, for us we pin the left bearing and float the right.
pinning will change how a kart handles

Back