What's peoples estimates on their longest running piece of equipment?

Mac_49

I've had my dad's John Deere 14SB self-propelled mower since new bought back in 1995 and have sent that thing through a mowing business all the way back to just 1 house a week nowdays.
I went through records and have found that it has gone 3,628 hours WITHOUT an engine or trans overhaul. Still runs like a champ!
Anyone else have some old equipment that have made it through the runs and still going strong?

1972 Allis Chalmers lawn tractor with a Kohler 10 HP cast iron dual bearing engine. Bought it used in 1981 and still runs good.

A friend of mine owns a Moline/White specialty repair shop. He has a never rebuilt functioning 1938 UDLX Comfortractor. Its in rough shape paint and rust wise, but it technically functions and hasn't been overhauled other than basic maintenance. I know basically nothing about tractors, but its pretty freakin cool.

I’m only 42 so my oldest and most dear to me equipment is my grandpas fleet of ECHO 452vl chainsaws. Still use them to this day and have bought nothing new to replace them with. They just have that feel of something made with pride and the intension of being built to last. They have a sound like no other and when your cutting wood and the area around you reeks of av gas and R50 klotz what’s not to love!

My dad's John Deere 4020 tractor, still today I think that's the best tractor that John Deere ever made, and it's still going strong today

I have had the best luck with Kawasaki engines on portable power equipment. They seem to last forever.

Last edited:
Somewhat humorous story: I have a '79 Wards front tine tiller with a flat head Briggs that would dig Indiana dirt clear to China. I have lead mounted on it so it will dig deeper, and I absolutely loved that tiller. I rebuilt the engine (just because I could.) Used an old 89-7R cam, ARC rod, light portwork, and milled the deck and head before turning the governor up a bit. RLV 3 stage pipe hit the trash can after the first spring tilling...LOL (I did want to keep my neighbors happy and I couldn't hear for the rest of the day after tilling in the morning.) Unfortunately, the upgrades to the engine took it's toll on the transmission shortly thereafter, so I had to retire it. Still have it and would love to restore it someday - the rear-tine tiller I bought to replace it with isn't worth a plug nickel for digging deep.

Dad has an old Farmall H that's all original ('56 maybe?) and it still pulls hay wagons each summer.

If we change the discussion to automobiles, we've had two Volvos that have hit the 300,000 club and were still going strong when we sold them for ones with half as many miles on them. :)

There's some real truth to "they don't make them like they used to," and 'it's all in how you take care of them."

Thanks,
Brian Carlson

oh I remember those springs every garden in the family and any other your dad could sign you up for with the old monkey wards front tine. Ours was that gray with the series of stripes on it. Can’t say I had a problem sleeping in the evening tho.

My longest running equipment would be my 2003 Ford E350 Super Duty work van.. Even though I bought a New Chevy 2 yrs ago my Ford has 339,000 miles and runs great, it does need a intake gasket but it still runs great. Doesn't have a bit of leakage anywhere, no tranny leaks, no rear differential leaks, no oil leaks, 0 rust under truck(barely any on the body).. I love my Chevy but with 339,000 mile my Ford can pull my trailer much easier than my Chevy... I still drive the Ford rarely, but was wanting to hit 500,000 miles in it, I know it would make it...

I've got a kt100 built in 1992 that stuck the first time I ran it ,replaced the piston and it's never been opened again . It was built for enduro by Greg Wright of Rappid Racing It won at Roelbing Roads this past march. Lol Chuck.

Forgot to say engine is on the right side of kart and drives off the inside.( flipped crank) fwiw later Chuck.

Not a gas or diesel engine type of equipment but we have a steel shop and we have a Bosch 14" chopsaw mounted to a bench that sits outside uncovered in PA weather 24/7, that saw has been sitting outside for 10+ years and the only thing we've ever had to replace on it was a set of brushes

I've got a kt100 built in 1992 that stuck the first time I ran it ,replaced the piston and it's never been opened again . It was built for enduro by Greg Wright of Rappid Racing It won at Roelbing Roads this past march. Lol Chuck.
And if I am not wrong I ran it oo before last season, right? Fast engine, just has a very special metal sound (maybe from sitting in your shop listening to all those metal bands, Chuck, lol).

Karting related, i have a DeWalt 12V Impact Gun we bough the first year i started racing (1999). It's been dropped more times then i can remember, its all duct taped together, but still works!

Back