What's the best drum clutch you can bye

tman13racing

I run the stock predator class absolutely nothing is done to these motors 360 lb I run small dirt tracks only what are your options on the best drum clutch I can get

I like the Max Torque SS (Six Shoe). I actually have a Nine Shoe created by the owner Jim Donovan himself. He also changed the spring so the clutch engages later. He did this for the price of the spring and shipping. Can't beat his customer service.

I like the Max Torque SS (Six Shoe). I actually have a Nine Shoe created by the owner Jim Donovan himself. He also changed the spring so the clutch engages later. He did this for the price of the spring and shipping. Can't beat his customer service.
I don't know of anybody that's more qualified, or more willing, to help karter's with their clutch problems. And he makes a very nice clutch.

If the clutch is holding the engine at peak torque, and is not generating a whole lot of heat, and it doesn't break every time you go to the track, there's not much else a clutch can do.

People have their favorites, very true, but when it comes to performance, I doubt there is very much difference, one way or another, between all of them.

From the desk of Al Nunley
Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory. (Al Nunley)

When it comes to karting and drum clutches, NO ONE has a greater wealth of knowledge building clutches than Jim Donovan at Max-Torque. You asked for the best, there ya go. Besides, I thing there about a gazillion threads you can read up on by folks asking the very same question.

Noram is by far the must used drum clutch ever sold.
There is a reason for that.

Yes sir. Agree then you change the springs red, green or what ever color, go to their website check springs: color, shoe Lt/Hev, position and kick in RPM's

Hilliard Flame. Take a look at some of the JR karts at any big race where a shoe is required and you will see. Hilliard Flame or Blaze and the Stinger or Stealth will be the ones you see the most of, on the top karts. That speaks for itself, if a max torque was the best one to use, id think they would be using them. Not knocking max torque, they have their place and purpose, but there are better clutches out there with far more tuneablility than the max torque and Norams. IV used them both and several other brands, that is until I found the Flame by Hilliard, easiest and simplest clutch to set up, adjust and maintain that I have ever seen from a shoe clutch, enough that I use it for Akra Clone or Pro Clone classes as well, with a bully conversion drum.

Back