What's the difference in various 10.8 valve springs

Eric85629

My girls will be advancing into jr1 next year so I finally get to start building the engines. I'm learning about different components one by one so now I'm learning about valve springs. We are allowed 10.8 valve springs but I'm finding that there are different styles. What's the difference? There are green stripe, preset green stripe, heavy duty red stripe, builders yellow stripe.....

The difference may be a couple of hundred rpm between them, BUT for jr 1 I wouldn't be overly concerned about valve float because you won't turn enough rpm to worry about it. Maybe I'm wrong - I don't build many clones.
I would think you would do best to contact the spring suppliers and ask them specifically what is the advantage to "their" springs.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
34 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

If I remember right, stock springs will float in the low 5000's and green plate has a target around 5800 rpm. Of course only after posting did I find an article about some differences on dyno cams website. I'm sure there is more to it but looks like the most notable difference is the strength out of the box. Looks like they all measure out higher than 10.8 except the "preset" springs. So most springs will offer the builder a chance to tweak them to their liking. Is there more to it than this?

My girls will be advancing into jr1 next year so I finally get to start building the engines. I'm learning about different components one by one so now I'm learning about valve springs. We are allowed 10.8 valve springs but I'm finding that there are different styles. What's the difference? There are green stripe, preset green stripe, heavy duty red stripe, builders yellow stripe.....
Eric are you building a clone or a predator?

I think you are going to find you don't want to run that high of rpm with the hemi. How big is the track you will be racing? Do you have to run that cam?

I think you are going to find you don't want to run that high of rpm with the hemi. How big is the track you will be racing? Do you have to run that cam?
1/5 mile track. I'm fairly new to this so that rpm is what people have been telling me. Don't need that cam but figured I may as well build up the engine & have my kids grow into it as they advance

1/5 mile track. I'm fairly new to this so that rpm is what people have been telling me. Don't need that cam but figured I may as well build up the engine & have my kids grow into it as they advance
What are the rules for the track? What track are you racing at?

These will be the first jr1 racers the track has had for a while and they are still deciding on a predator class vs a clone class so I don't know the rules yet. I'm researching based on what other racers did in their Jr classes 10 years ago. The track is Tucson Kart Speedway in AZ

Either way you need good springs . Pre set or builder prepare.
Depending on your ability to manipulate the springs .

Either way you need good springs . Pre set or builder prepare.
Depending on your ability to manipulate the springs .
.....and you hit on my next question that I haven't looked into yet- how to manipulate the springs. Do you know of any good articles to read about fine tuning the springs?

Back