Wheel came off...

Over tightening is the worse thing to do as said above. I use 1/4" studs on my laydown enduro and run over 100 mph with no failures. I made a T-handle wrench to tighten lugs with....I don't use lock nuts or serrated nuts or nylocs. I use the smooth flange nuts that most come with.

I had a friend who used to help me on my sprint car. His way of thinking was to tighten everything until it squeaks, then give it another half a turn. Over tightening is as bad as not enough.

Sprint car wheel nuts have a tapered seat....TOTALLY different that a flang nut!!!

Sprint car wheel nuts have a tapered seat....TOTALLY different that a flang nut!!!

The point wasn't nut type, it was over tightening. when you start overtightening them, nut type doesn't make a whole lot of difference, because over tightening creates new problems on several levels.

And with the materials used for the studs on karts, not the least of them is setting up the possibility of brittle failure due to stress corrosion cracking eventually leading to full blown H2 embrittlement. That goes double if you live and race 50 miles or less from the coast.

Back