Wheel sizes?

Aldeen

Im new to karting, just bought a prc kart with no wheels.There seems to be an endless amount of options from width, offset, material type and diameter. I run a 1/10th mile dirt oval Everyone runs treaded tires, so I know I want to stick with that, but they all have very different wheel configurations and tire sizes from each other. What's a good starting point for wheel size for each corner? Any info is apreciated Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Normal dirt 6" diameter wheel sizes are:

Left front 6.5"
Left rear 8.5"
Both right sides 10"

Your application may vary running treads and depending on desired stagger.

The sizes given above will work with slicks, but may (or may not) be right for treads.)
Treads generally mount up MUCH larger and give a much larger amount of stagger than what most flat karts need.
We work with Hoosier and Burris treads on a weekly basis here in the shop, and have a set-up that works well to get the right sides back down to 34" and run the typical wide rights, narrow lefts, where they need to be for a flatkart with limited HP.
We also offer cutting and prepping services for treaded tires (but I wouldn't recommend it for a backyard track if your competition isn't already doing this.) As soon as one guy starts down that road, you'll all end up having to do it to stay competitive.

-----
?Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
30 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Back