Wheel/tire sizes for treads.

Beeman

Just picked up a used deuce chassis. This is my first kart and I have zero experience running karts except for the last few weeks I’ve been able to wheel my buddies Icon.

Right now I only plan to run at some local backyard tracks. Mostly clay based, 1/10mi.

Everyone runs treads. Right now I have my eyes on a set of VanK Pro Series. Planned on running 10s on the right side, then an 8.5 and 6.5 on the left. Just want to make sure I’m not starting off on the wrong foot.

also not sure on tire sizing/brand. I’m leaning towards Hoosiers, not sure which compound to go with. I plan to get more wheels and different compounds later. Just need to get a set now to get my kart race able.

Any help/info is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

My opinion you want the softest tread you can get . Burris is a tx 11 , what ever hossier has that's the softest .
Your buying new wheels ?
Again jmho the wheels should match the tire size .
Those are common sizes. For slicks .
I kinda like the , 9 inch wheels on the right and two 6.5 on the left
The 10's work .
Tire sizes left and right ?

My opinion you want the softest tread you can get . Burris is a tx 11 , what ever hossier has that's the softest .
Your buying new wheels ?
Again jmho the wheels should match the tire size .
Those are common sizes. For slicks .
I kinda like the , 9 inch wheels on the right and two 6.5 on the left
The 10's work .
Tire sizes left and right ?
I haven’t ordered wheels yet. Just picked up the chassis today. D10 I believe is the softest Hoosier treaded.

Are you in the south or where it gets hot and dry ?
Any chance you can buy a set off someone who races there .
Tread racing in my mind tends to be a little bit rough . Bending up a set of brand new wheels is gonna be painful .

Last edited:
Are you in the south or where it gets hot and dry ?
Any chance you can buy a set off someone who races there .
Tread racing in my mind tends to be a little bit rough . Bending up a set of brand new wheels is gonna be painful .
I’m in NE Indiana. Really just racing with some local guys in backyard tracks for now. Don’t know of anyone with a set they are willing to part with.

The racing/tracks are pretty clean so if I end up bending a wheel it’ll take something pretty serious. Either way it’s just part of racing.

I’m in NE Indiana. Really just racing with some local guys in backyard tracks for now. Don’t know of anyone with a set they are willing to part with.

The racing/tracks are pretty clean so if I end up bending a wheel it’ll take something pretty serious. Either way it’s just part of racing.

Give us a call here at the shop.
We have our own tire sizes and wheel sizes that I prefer to use with treads on karts. I think most people are using Waaaaaaaaaaay too big of tire for their flat karts by using tires that were designed to be run on 250 & 500cc outlaw winged cage karts that spin the tires at will.
Whatever direction you choose to go...
We can get you fixed up.

Check out some of the treaded tire work we've been doing on our Facebook page as well.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com here at the shop.

What tire sizes is the folks you race with using ?
Really it’s just myself and one buddy getting more serious about it. These are the specs he’s wanting to go with.

2- 11950 on right side 20 compound.
1-11850 on lr 10 compound
1-11920 on lf 10 compound

Them are big tires . If what I saw was right the rights roll out too 38 inches .
The lefts were 35.5 or 36 .
I ran the burris at 36 but with a hot flathead still was on big gears 75-82 rear .
If you haven't bought them yet I recommend calling carlson .

Really it’s just myself and one buddy getting more serious about it. These are the specs he’s wanting to go with.

2- 11950 on right side 20 compound.
1-11850 on lr 10 compound
1-11920 on lf 10 compound

That is NOT what you need.
Yes, some tracks dictate those sizes per their rules, but these tires were designed for 250 & 500 cc winged outlaw cage karts.
Give us a call at the shop on monday. We've got 34" right sides that will work MUCH better!

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

We run a small bullring here in southern Maine, I can tell you that the majority of the karts on the track , no matter the class run
12-800 Rights
11-550 Left

^ Keep in mind the difference in sizes from Hoosier to Burris as well.
Bartlett Bridge is a Burris only track, so you're limited to sizes to use there.
We do several racers' tires for BB currently.

There were a number of racers at tracks through the plains and southwest who were on the big treads before we showed that the smaller tires worked better....Now they've either changed over, or the tracks have begun mandating tire sizes.

Back