wheels

I'm honestly not sure if there's a spec on this or not in the AKRA rules, I've been running karts since 2003 and I can't remember a 'stock' class using anything besides 10's on the RS. Is there a specific thing you're trying to achieve, or do you just have some wheels that you want to try?

-Andy

In general more rear stagger can be achieved by shrinking the left rear and/or swelling the right rear. I would try that first. Since we're in the beginner's forum swell a tire by adding air and heat and shrink a tire by removing the valve stem core and adding heat.

In my experience the last couple of years with them, the ELs will blow up pretty easily if you put 25-30 psi in them during the week and take the valve core out of the LR (and LF if you need to). A couple of drops of water in the valve stem before you blow them up will also help them expand faster due to the relative expansion of the moisture to the air. If you still can't get enough, it might be easier to go to a 8.5" or 8.75" on the LR, you might have an easier time finding (especially an 8.5) one of those than an off-sized RS.

Also, going to a smaller RR while leaving the same size RF without moving the hub might make the kart drive worse than the positives that you gained by adding stagger, so if you go that route, make sure you go back over tread width and alignment.

That all being said, I'd pump some air into the RR and make it happen. Hope this helps.

-Andy

Thank youll very much for all the information we still have a lot to learn and all of this will give me places to look

More rear stagger will make the kart looser, not tighter. I would grow the LR tire and that should tighten him up if that is really what you are wanting

This is true. I only read the first part of the post about needing rear stagger and overlooked the rest.

-Andy

More or less, compared to what? And what about the track? I would think that would be a consideration. I don't really know, but I would think there are a lot of things you could do for a loose/tight condition before changing the stagger.

Have they gone so far, in their pursuit of competition leveling, as to make rules regarding the width of wheels??

From the desk of Al Nunley
Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory. (Al Nunley)

There are no rules on having to run a 10" wheel. It's just the preferred size in most applications.

I would try growing the LR as suggested and/or use a narrower wheel on the LR to reduce stagger if needed.

More or less, compared to what? And what about the track? I would think that would be a consideration. I don't really know, but I would think there are a lot of things you could do for a loose/tight condition before changing the stagger.

Have they gone so far, in their pursuit of competition leveling, as to make rules regarding the width of wheels??

From the desk of Al Nunley
Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory. (Al Nunley)

Al, the track or his current setup info isn't needed for answering the OP's questions. The info that I gave holds true no matter what track he races at, or what kart he drives. He was wanting to try and increase rear stagger in order to tighten up the go kart. By increasing rear stagger, that would do the opposite of what he is trying to achieve. Why do you always try and add your 2 cents and then back it up with "I really don't know". Well if you don't know, why try and confuse the guy? He asked about rear stagger, not for setup advice

Back