When to cut and when not to cut?

1fasttiller

Learned some valuable things at the Maxxis Nationals this past weekend and wanted to see if you tire experts can shed some light on how one should know when a cut tire is needed and when not? We've gotten good at our prep game and great at read track conditions but taking a new tire and cutting all the rubber off it really threw us for a loop, I honestly thought it was a thing of the past with the low(thin) rubber tires being produced today.

Learned some valuable things at the Maxxis Nationals this past weekend and wanted to see if you tire experts can shed some light on how one should know when a cut tire is needed and when not? We've gotten good at our prep game and great at read track conditions but taking a new tire and cutting all the rubber off it really threw us for a loop, I honestly thought it was a thing of the past with the low(thin) rubber tires being produced today.
If the track lacks bite, soft or wet I try to go for a full rubber tire. When the track is hard, biting, and getting fast I’ll reach for a cut tire. The trick is having a good balance of both.

I'm absolutely no expert like some others here. But, here's my opinion. Everything we do to tires, from internal, external, fresh vs cured, cutting, and sanding is in the name of Heat management.

-Thick tire, takes longer to heat up, but maintains heat longer, and potentially reaches a higher equilibrium. Which lends it's self to as mentioned above, thick rubber is generally used on colder, softer, wetter tracks. Lower bite tracks that you want that tire to be able to move around. Generate heat and then maintain that heat as long as it was rolled and prepped correctly.

-Thin tire, takes less time to heat up, but will lose heat faster. Generally runs cooler in the long run, but should fire back just as easy, as long as it was prepped correctly.

So when the track is starting to get really hard, especially when it starts to bite up and you'd start to go towards low prep, or no prep Maxxis. If you find yourself thinking, I need an older more durable tire, the track is chewing up fresh tires. But, you see others on brand new stickers, you could be considering a thinner tire. Because, one you're wanting to keep the heat down, and not over heat that tire. If a non wiped Maxxis is "too much" and is still getting chewed up, like it most likely would at Iron City. Then cutting that tire thinner would help alleviate heat in that tire. By allowing it fire off well, but dissipate heat easier through the thinner rubber, and keep the equilibrium a tad bit lower than a full rubber tire. Now, how thin is the question. I know Iron City bites up damn good, so it's something you just have to figure out.

So when a tire wears, it's because it was heated to, or beyond it's optimal temp. So a tires dissipates heat by shedding rubber. That's why you'll almost always see tire wear progress nearly the same on any tire we use for racing.
-No change or looks slick/glazed. Not enough heat to reach equilibrium and probably perform poorly, but not always.
-Very very light graining(Fuzzed), means the tire was pretty optimal but was clearly shedding rubber to lose heat, but didn't need to really lose much heat.(Edit) This also points toward having a tire that's maximizing contact patch for the conditions, IE: correct camber, air and settings for the track conditions.
-Light graining(More noticable and larger grains than above, often looks like small ripples across the tire.), means it was slightly hotter than it wanted to be, it was peeling rubber off to help it lose built up heat. Not always a bad thing, but could have potentially used a harder, thinner, or more aged tire, or it could have been perfect for conditions.
-Heavy graining(Course or big grains lifted), Definitely over heated, but depending on the use it could have been perfectly fine and expected.
-Edges peeling or blistered.(Long waves of rubber laid over each other) Obviously well past it's equilibrium and clearly over heating for various reasons.

Now, the problem this all leads you down a rabbit hole too is that heat is also managed by other aspects as I mentioned above. You have internal, external, fresh tires, vs cured tires, cutting is just another tool in the arsenal. There is no right or wrong way and how you get to the end goal is up to you. This is all essentially thick vs thin for Maxxis only. This doesn't even begin to touch on profiles for cut tires, which in other brands could play almost as big a role. Which most now are only flat cutting the center of Maxxis. Not even cutting the whole tire.

Last edited:
Track bites up good, and too much rubber bites too hard, we cut to free up the kart by taking bite away from the tire. Also thats why tire wash is used there as well.
And kart seems to have better roll speed there with a cut tire.
I know i want cut tires most of the time with kids and Super Heavy, Champ classes, unless going to a track that wants a 30 tire duro. 375 weight and around there, at least some rubber will be taken off depending on where im going.

The tires they were passing out to the JR’s were already thinner than what I’m used to buying at my local kart shop. My tires were about .065 before cutting. Some other folks I talked to said theirs were the same. I usually cut mine to .055-.060.

The tires they were passing out to the JR’s were already thinner than what I’m used to buying at my local kart shop. My tires were about .065 before cutting. Some other folks I talked to said theirs were the same. I usually cut mine to .055-.060.
I just cut 2 sets of Maxxis yesterday for a customer. The wear dots aren't uniform on these. Some were .040" before cutting, others were nearly .060." Watch for that. I wouldn't say that I totally disregard wear dot depth, but I don't remove rubber based on the depth that I measure at the dots alone.

I've said it before, but it bears repeating: I've never seen a properly cut tire outperformed by an uncut tire.
As mentioned above, there are times that you want a thicker tire vs thinner tire. Sometimes you're taking just a skim cut, other times you are taking them down to the chords. As Earl said, on high bite stuff with Maxxis, we're basically cutting flat between the wear dots to free the kart up. You leave the full shoulder so that you still have a stiff spring rate. On low bite, I'll take a bit off the shoulders (just be careful, there's not much meat there to work with -- unlike thick rubber stuff) to lower the spring rate and let the tire's shoulder get into the track more.
ABR brought up a good point in that you want your tires to build heat. If they're not building heat, they're not working (at their best anyway.) A nice even graining is what you're looking for, not feathering.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
34 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Since it rained cats and dogs and was cold Saturday, you probably would have been good to not cut one set down very much for qualifying so that if you needed to sacrifice the set and strike them with something harsh (a definite), you could cut them after and take the majority of the harsh chemical back off and not make them completely worthless for the features Sunday. You could easily run 2 features on the other set that wasnt wiped harsh.

When you're getting tires at the track like the nationals, you're also looking to cut them to get closer to the inside prep as it probably hasn't pulled through all the way. You can cut a good 2-4oz of weight off a right side Maxxis which is a benefit to the rotating mass.

We did end up cutting a little off our first set for qualifying (only took about .020 off) and it didn't seem to help. We missed both rounds of qualifying by a tenth... We did wipe some harsh stuff later and won the B main to get into the show. The set we raced on Sunday was barely cut/sanded and was definitely slow as heck!

Yeah the track gained a full second between Jr CoC quali and start of features. We needed 20 laps on a set before they would show any roll speed.

Sunday the track had come around and had a ton of bite. Talked with a good friend who had just run Super Heavy, Justin McDonald, and he says to me "tracks biting up good".
When he tells me that, track has got to be good.

Back