When will the new chamfer gauge be released?

Renegade

I have seen clone blocks with chamfer so slight you needed a magnifing glass to see it. I have also seen new blocks chamferd so much the rings were getting caught. So we know they are all over the place, I guess Won Haung Low ain't a great machinist. So the only fair thing is to put a spec on it and make a gauge. When can we expect this new tech tool to be available?

Last edited by a moderator:
It is done to ease the installation of the piston/rings and minimize the possibility of damaging the rings. It may increase flow slightly in engines where the valves are shrouded by the cylinder wall. Rule makers are much like legislators, they often do useless things to like to make ot look like they are doing something. With that said I want to point out that this is not pointed at any individual, I stopped following the politics of kart organizations years ago.

When someone starts machining the block in an area where the rules do not allow it the rules people need to make it clear that permission to do such thing has not been approved. The techs in the field have informed us that the engines using the .040 gasket are heavily radiused to keep that gasket from covering the jug. AKRA has not given permission to do that and if AKRA doesn't make it aware to the builders the behavior will continue to grow out of control. No politics involved

When someone starts machining the block in an area where the rules do not allow it the rules people need to make it clear that permission to do such thing has not been approved. The techs in the field have informed us that the engines using the .040 gasket are heavily radiused to keep that gasket from covering the jug. AKRA has not given permission to do that and if AKRA doesn't make it aware to the builders the behavior will continue to grow out of control. No politics involved
How does that work?? Radius more to keep gasket from hanging over?

I would think that the sharp edge creates a hot spot, adversely affects tumble more than flow (which is also important to combustion,) and also allows more of the cylinder to be filled during the CC check, correct?

Is there ANY chance of dumping the CC check in lieu of measuring piston pop-up and cylinder chamber depth?
Just asking for a friend. ;)
-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
30 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Ok, the chamfer is done by the manufacture to be able to install pistons without damaging the rings.

The whole point of using the engine for kart racing is because it's less expensive.

If there's a problem with 'some' manufactured engines having so much chamfer that it causes rings to go bad because of the amount the piston goes up in the cylinder, DON'T force racers to BUY expensive machining and engine building.

If a racers happens to get one of the i'm assuming "few" way over chamfered engines wouldn't it be better to keep the rules, hoping the slight supply problem goes away?

Wouldn't it be better for few racers that get over chamfered engines buy another $100 engine then to FORCE via a rule change ALL racers into having to have their engines done by builders?

Last edited:
Next up will be someone importing kart racing engines to be sold at $100 with seals and speck items like carbs permanently fixed to the engine by the manufacture.

If your carb or anything else goes bad you put on another engine. The only things the racer would need to install would be the motor mount, throttle cable, clutch, exhaust and fuel.

Back