Where can I get the stuff to melt my own lead

What do you have in your garage and house?
A torch...a mold...muffin tins, pie tins...lead...we used lead out of old car/truck batteries
We cut the bottom off a old fire extinguisher, or a piece of pipe about 4" circ. clamp piece of metal on bottom.
I am in HVAC so I just made my own tin molds...

If you do melt lead do it outside/ or in a well ventilated area...and at least wear a white breathing mask..

What do you have in your garage and house?
A torch...a mold...muffin tins, pie tins...lead...we used lead out of old car/truck batteries
We cut the bottom off a old fire extinguisher, or a piece of pipe about 4" circ. clamp piece of metal on bottom.
I am in HVAC so I just made my own tin molds...

If you do melt lead do it outside/ or in a well ventilated area...and at least wear a white breathing mask..

I was going to try to get some more lead from the local tire shop but I have a few old car batteries here, what method are you using to get the lead out of them and what do you do with the acid ?

I never had any luck with batteries , to much work very little product.
Call a scrap person, much simpler.
watch the cans driver got cut pretty good, Started leaving them in can.

Sometimes tire stores and gas stations that still do mechanical work will give you significant quantities of used wheel weights that they remove when changing and balancing wheels - doesn't hurt to ask around. If you do come into wheel weights, don't worry about the steel clips; just throw the wheel weights into the pot, and when they melt, they float on top of the lead and you can skim them off with a spoon or small ladle along with the rest of the dross.

Use a cat food can or a tuna fish can, heat up the lead with a torch and let it melt into the can. When it cools just take tin snips and cut the can away. Fill it to the top and its 5 lbs.

Use a cat food can or a tuna fish can, heat up the lead with a torch and let it melt into the can. When it cools just take tin snips and cut the can away. Fill it to the top and its 5 lbs.

yep the aluminum cat food cans work great so do bottome of cut in half soda cans

You can melt lead on top of a stove i or hotplate in a cast iron skillet , BUT NOT INDOORS. 1 cup is real close to 5#. I used metal measureing cups, Just fill them right to the top and stick a 3/8 bolt in it ,advise is use a pair of pliers to do that. You can bu a set of them from WM, 1/2 makews 2 1/2 pound weights and a 1/4 will give you about a 1 1/4# .

No reason to cut the can away at all, in fact handling lead is a potential health hazard so you are better off leaving it in the can. The can also holds the paint or powder coat better then lead alone. I prefer "Friskies" cat food cans because they are aluminum and do not rust. You do not need all that much heat to melt it, I use a $5.00 hot plate that I bought from Harbour Freight.

I was going to try to get some more lead from the local tire shop but I have a few old car batteries here, what method are you using to get the lead out of them and what do you do with the acid ?

It is a lot of time to get a little lead from batteries...but when you have a lot of old,ones laying around...you use what ya got.
The batteries were no good for a long time...acid pored on the weeds/dirt driveway...then washed them out...being very careful...then cut apart to get the lead...

bout the only real lead in modern battery is the post. they use I believe antimony now.
Take the old bat to scrap/junkyard sell for five dollars go buy some scrap lead much simpler.
as yak said it is not easy to get I tried mighta got 2 lbs out of 1 batt acid everywhere terrible mess prolly an hour sawzall slege hammer totally not worth it

as far as melting i got lucky and picked up a turkey fryer at a yard sale and use an old cast pan. I went to the dollar store and bought cheap muffin pans.

Instead of dealing with old batteries, why not look into a Plumbing supply company, or a dive shop? I have used hunks of steel bar stock when I couldn't find any lead, Brass too because it is heavy, and easy to drill, etc.

Yeah just throwing ideas put there...no scrap yards or anyone throwing away lead around here with scrap prices being so high everyone cashing in...
Maybe some yard sales that are getting rid of old fishing gear...down rigger weights, bottom bouncers...large sinkers?

Back