Where to put tach

Tach leads are a little bit to short to mount on fairing or steering wheel. Where on the kart can I mount it at? Has anyone mounted themanywhere else on the motor. I had it bolted on the front of the top plate but the body was hitting and I wasnt gonna cut that much out of the body.

Yes - you wont be watching it anyway .
Saw them back of seat on the rails in front of the engine .
Some where its easy too veiw and still where it wont get damaged or tangled
With your legs and feet .

What kind of tach? Most tachs use a normal wire for rpms, even speaker wire works, so it is very cheap t replace the wire, Ted, unless you do have a very specific tach using different wire. Cht should be long enough, it even works on the laydowns. What brand is it? I might even have some you can use.

Last edited:
Ideally, right in front of your face, barring that, the place that's the easiest for you To see it. Right in the middle of the steering Wheel seems like a good place. I know it's difficult to take your eyes off the track while racing, but trust me, In time, you will acquire the skill.

One other thing; RPM is all you need to observe while on the track racing. Any other information the tachometer can acquire, can be studied later in the pits. Clutch slip RPM off the corners, peak RPM at the end of the straight, the only thing is I ever looked at.

Ideally, right in front of your face, barring that, the place that's the easiest for you To see it. Right in the middle of the steering Wheel seems like a good place. I know it's difficult to take your eyes off the track while racing, but trust me, In time, you will acquire the skill.
One other thing; RPM is all you need to observe while on the track racing. Any other information the tachometer can acquire, can be studied later in the pits. Clutch slip RPM off the corners, peak RPM at the end of the straight, the only thing is I ever looked at

Again you don't read about the help which is being asked for and just spout your head off screwing the thread up.

Please read the authors input:

I dont have the money right now to buy longer tach leads for cht and rpm so I am just gonna make it work somewhere on the kart.
HE DOESN'T HAVE THE MONEY TO BUY LONGER LEADS, WHICH YOUR REPLY DEMANDS HE DO.

No need to look at it, nothing you can change once you're on track.
That's why I said floor pan, or back of seat, that's where we put them on jr karts so they can't see them

^^^ bingo! I can’t switch gears if I’m maxed out or don’t have enough gear while I’m out there and if I’m in the hunt and the temp reads 500 + degrees I’m not pulling off either. You could mount that thing on the back of the seat for all I care I’ll check it in the pits 😂

I want to know if my engi9ne is getting too hot. I dont look at my tach when im racing but the high temp alarm will get my attention. I set it real high so if it comes on i know there is a real problem. Better than ruining an engine.

So if your max temp alarm comes on with 3 or 4 to go and your sitting in 2nd watching the leaders tires fall off your gonna pull off ? Not this cat !
My high temp alarm came on half way through the race a couple of weeks ago. I was leading and wasn't gonna pull off. Just knowing there was a problem helped because i lifted more through the turns to allow extra alcohol to wash/cool the cylinder a little bit. The engine was laying down bad on the last two laps. I kept my fingers crossed and begged it: Don't Blow! Don't Blow!

I do my driver doesn't, after its started and hits the track I don't care, nothing you can do about it at that point
Agreed. Once you're on the track, you got what you got. No need to make it complicated. If you need a tach/temp to tell that your engine isn't running right, you need more experience.

Back