Where'd the Gas Go??

Jimbo

You can fool some of the people some of the time
I drained the gas from the carb after running an engine yesterday and got 25 cc's in the beaker. The engine cooled off and then i realized that i needed to change the oil so i ran it again to get the oil up to temperature. I let it drain overnight and put fresh oil in it this morning. When i drained the gas this morning i only got 15 cc's out of the carb.
Where did the other 10 cc's go?

This isn't an answer because I only wonder about this with my karts...but is it possible it siphoned back into the fuel tank?

Siphon not likely, as fuel dumps above fuel level. Also checks in fuel pump make this impossible, or would not pump fuel.

Most likely, fuel light ends evaporated off, from heat in engine.

This is why ethanol in gasoline causes vapor lock in some automotive applications.

Yes as gas evaporates it leaves a residue in bowl and jets. This is what plugs up the jets and emulsion tube. Drain bowl, by using a 12 in piece of fuel line . Fill up line with WD40 or similar product and drain into carb tru gas inlet by blowing into tube. Be careful tastes bad and it's likely not good for you. Lol

I doubt that almost half the gas evaporated out of the carb bowl overnight.

What's really important here?
The fuel left after sitting overnight, or what is actually in the bowl while running?

I've suggested a method to see level while running.

Who really cares what is left after sitting overnight? Or even after shutting it off?

What's really important here?
The fuel left after sitting overnight, or what is actually in the bowl while running?

I've suggested a method to see level while running.

Who really cares what is left after sitting overnight? Or even after shutting it off?

Ya I don't care either, I've never measured the amount of fuel that drains out of the bowl. I think Jimbo is just stirring the pot LOL, pretty sure he's told me not to leave fuel in the carb overnight.

The whole point of this post is to make sure everyone knows (238 view so far) how quickly the fuel evaporates out of the bowl and leaves the junk behind. The longer you leave it in there the more of it that evaporates and leaves even more junk behind.
I just thought it was a good way to prove the point. And yes Elmer's method for pickling the carb is one way to do it.
I take it a few steps farther and use a spray can of WD 40. I remove the fuel line from the carb and the air filter. I spray it into the fuel inlet, the main air bleed and the idle air hole. I know there are lots of people that don't do any of this and never have a problem but when things do get plugged up they are lost. If it's worth the trouble is your choice.
Enjoy the 4th of July holiday.

The solution is the new Gulf Racing Fuel. The racing fuel is EPA approved and is non-ethanol and unleaded race fuel. It will never absorb moisture and will give you more torque. No more draining fuel tanks and carbs. No more crap in the bowls. Check it out.

www.gulf-racingfuels.com

I remember when we used to use leaded fuel in our cars and trucks. That was prior to 1973. The result of using lead as an octane booster resulted in considerable deposits in the combustion chamber and fouling of the spark plugs. I have some customers that must use leaded fuel at the tracks they race at and of all the heads i refresh for people the ones that use leaded fuel are the worst! The heads that use 87 octane pump gas normally have much less deposits in the combustion chamber.
Lets remember one of the reasons why the lead was originally removed from the fuel. Even small amounts are hazardous to you health. I don't think anyone is going to die from breathing lead fumes from lets say 30 go karts in front of you but all the toxins in our lives today have a cumulative effect.
Every day we eat some plastic, drink some oil, breathe some ozone, etc. Now i should go to the track and breathe some lead. No thanks. I'd rather clean my carb. IMHO

There is no reason for any fuel to have lead in it. Older vehicle protected the valves and seats with lead, engines today do not require it. If you have a vintage engine you can get additives to replace the absense of lead. A track that demands lead should be reported as it is a senseless stupid rule.

One of the reasons I like 4 stroke racing is that we can run unleaded. A lot of 2 stroke racers still run leaded gas though - are there unleaded alternatives that will work in an IAME Mini Swift? I just don't know a lot about this.

Why would a 2 stroke needed leaded gasoline? You should be able to find an octane booster that does not use lead.

Back