Which Flywheel

T-roy

Purple & Green AKRA clones. PVL or one of the Billet aluminum? And what is the reason. I see a few people using pvl but not a pvl coil. I dont think.

I have had no issues with the ARC , but I have several people tell me that they have never had an issue with PVL's . So I guess its more of a purse string issue .

Or on a bigger locked up momentum track where you get to see all those hundredths or tenths add up towards the end of a race.

I'm gonna go out on the limb and bet you won't see it on a dyno, its just not that noticeable by itself but combined with many other small details they add up... especially in a small plate motor.
I went and read about it a little more somewhere I found them stating that it was about like taking the big fin one and taping up the housing. So small fin un-taped=big fin taped

I went and read about it a little more somewhere I found them stating that it was about like taking the big fin one and taping up the housing. So small fin un-taped=big fin taped
Has me wondering what the small fin would do Along with the entire housing taped up! Wonder if the motor would get too hot?

Anyone ever try this on the dyno?

even taped up with the small fin I would bet your still not going to get a purple plate or down hot enough. Unrestricted engine that’s hooked up or locked down and taped for sure.

4B7FAD10-03EB-47D5-AAEC-DE1CD76B3A72.jpeg

Funny you should say that.... guess what’s coming off and guess what’s going on. 🤔

I’ve heard this too. I have several PVL’s laying around. Are they really a better option? I’d assume it would certainly help a plate motor?

Chose your flywheel to match your track. Look at where the bulk of the weight is concentrated on a flywheel.

PVL: the weight is concentrated in the center where the steel part is. Much lighter in the outer ring so it will accelerate faster. However it will also decelerate faster and caries the least momentum. Very good balance. Short track wheel

ARC: the weight is heavily concentrated in the outer ring. Slower to accelerate but does not decelerate as much. Carries a ton of momentum but is not as well balanced as the others. Big momentum track wheel

Speed Karts: More even distribution of weight but leans a little toward the outer ring. Acceleration is quicker than ARC but slower than PVL and is the same on deceleration. less than PVL and slightly more than ARC. Excellent Balance Mid size track wheel.

The Speed Karts wheel really is the best for an all around engine, but on a big track the ARC will have a slight advantage and the PVL will have the advantage on a short track. If you run a big 1/4 mile or larger track find you a Steel King Flywheel. You will get killed on takeoff but once you get the rpms up nothing will stay with you if the kart is right.

^^^^^ thats it! Used to do this on pure stock engines. Big ol balancer and flywheel and keep her humping

Back