Which Flywheel

download.jpgHere you go.

Is Speed Karts and Raceseng the same group of people? Looks like the ones that used to be branded Raceseng.

Why do they make more power with the plate engines? Or what do you think is causing it to make more power? PM me if you need to.
See post 12 and post 19 in this thread.
Think it through. It's there.

Unless you must use stock key, position of key way means little.
Put your degree wheel on, lap the flywheel to crankshaft and set it wherever you want.

If it slips without a key, it will cut the key anyway.
This way, you know where you are relative to piston tdc.

What kind of coil gap are you suggesting for plate motors?
And this is where the magic lives.

THE biggest difference between these flywheels is the type of magnet each uses, how that interacts with the coil, and what that does to the ignition timing throughout the rpm range. The PVL uses and iron ceramic magnet. The ARC 6619 & 6689 and the Raceseng S1 use a neodymium iron boron (rare earth) magnet. Which is much stronger magnet than an iron ceramic. I do not know what Speed Karts uses for a magnet.

The nature of the beast with the clone's ignition system is that it retards timing as you gain rpm. This is of course NOT the ideal situation. But if you can set initial timing AND control the amount of timing the coil retards, then you can work around this and land on ideal timing. IF you're really clever you can adjust your jetting to work in harmony with your chosen timing profile.

Imagine if you had an overly rich idle circuit and you used an overly advanced base timing to give you a little extra time to burn the excess fuel at idle. But as you gained rpm, you could retard the timing to what is appropriate for a given head design and at the same time lean out the fuel mixture to provide for maximum power.

^^sounds a lot like a properly setup restrictor plate clone engine doesn't it?

Wouldn't this give you a very strong take off when coming around for the green flag, yet give you maximum power when at full throttle?

If you search this forum, you'll find I documented the fact that this ignition system retards time with rpm back in 2014/2015. In my experience, I've had the best results with a 6689, and before that the 6619. I just cant get the same amount of adjustability out of the PVL.

The pro tip here is: you can control how much the ignition system retards by changing the air gap. What you want for air gap depends on your initial timing and jetting. These three things all affect each other. I'll repeat it. Base timing, air gap and jetting all affect the power profile---> especially in a restrictor plate engine.

And this is where the magic lives.

THE biggest difference between these flywheels is the type of magnet each uses, how that interacts with the coil, and what that does to the ignition timing throughout the rpm range. The PVL uses and iron ceramic magnet. The ARC 6619 & 6689 and the Raceseng S1 use a neodymium iron boron (rare earth) magnet. Which is much stronger magnet than an iron ceramic. I do not know what Speed Karts uses for a magnet.

The nature of the beast with the clone's ignition system is that it retards timing as you gain rpm. This is of course NOT the ideal situation. But if you can set initial timing AND control the amount of timing the coil retards, then you can work around this and land on ideal timing. IF you're really clever you can adjust your jetting to work in harmony with your chosen timing profile.

Imagine if you had an overly rich idle circuit and you used an overly advanced base timing to give you a little extra time to burn the excess fuel at idle. But as you gained rpm, you could retard the timing to what is appropriate for a given head design and at the same time lean out the fuel mixture to provide for maximum power.

^^sounds a lot like a properly setup restrictor plate clone engine doesn't it?

Wouldn't this give you a very strong take off when coming around for the green flag, yet give you maximum power when at full throttle?

If you search this forum, you'll find I documented the fact that this ignition system retards time with rpm back in 2014/2015. In my experience, I've had the best results with a 6689, and before that the 6619. I just cant get the same amount of adjustability out of the PVL.

The pro tip here is: you can control how much the ignition system retards by changing the air gap. What you want for air gap depends on your initial timing and jetting. These three things all affect each other. I'll repeat it. Base timing, air gap and jetting all affect the power profile---> especially in a restrictor plate engine.
Sounds like your using the wrong coil. The early style T1 coils which are more angular along the top and buttom edges of the laminations/legs are prone to this retarding phenomenon......get yourself a later style coil from a GX160 T2 which has smoother edges on the top and bottom edges of the lamination/legs. Also make sure you only have 1 resistor in the system. So either just a resistor in the cap and a non-resisted plug or vice versa......if you mistakenly have 2 resistors then it will retard igniion noticeably.

I know your a pro builder, but so am I......but nobody knows it all, not even me!!!

Most recent post is Dec of 2020. It is now Feb of 2023. Is there any new info on what 3.3lbs flywheels for Predators? I see the King flywheel is no longer but Speed Kart has taken over there design but it appears that is old news. What is the latest and greatest flywheel to run?

Sounds like your using the wrong coil. The early style T1 coils which are more angular along the top and buttom edges of the laminations/legs are prone to this retarding phenomenon......get yourself a later style coil from a GX160 T2 which has smoother edges on the top and bottom edges of the lamination/legs. Also make sure you only have 1 resistor in the system. So either just a resistor in the cap and a non-resisted plug or vice versa......if you mistakenly have 2 resistors then it will retard igniion noticeably.

I know your a pro builder, but so am I......but nobody knows it all, not even me!!!
What if you have no resistors at all? Aren't the resistors in plug wires and plugs only for passenger vehicles with sensitive electronics? Ideally, little or NO resistance at all would give hottest spark!

Back