Which kart? Margay Brava or Energy Kinetic

sanigene

Hello,

First post and first time kart racer although I have a car race history in Spec Miata and single seaters (FF, FC). I basically don't know anything about karts.

I have found 2 karts locally that are in my budget but my lack of knowledge of karts has ground my decision making to a halt! I'm hoping someone could chime in to let me know what I should be looking for or asking the sellers.

2016 Marga Brava - used one season in Jr 206
2013 Energy Kinetic - used for one season in Sr 206

Both are in good condition with good welds an minimal damage on the bottom of the frame. Basically just some superficial scratches. Both come with a motor, one set of aluminum wheels with tires (maybe the margay tires are a bit better condition).

Other than picking which one has a prettier paint job, I have no clue how to choose!

Any advice is appreciated,

Sani

What are you going to use it for? Are these full size karts or cadet karts? I would go with the Margay as they are a great American company and I believe their karts will last longer than the euro stuff plus you can get brake rebuild kits for them good luck with that on a 2013 euro kart. Which Brava is it, can you get 55" rear track?

Don't buy tires until you find out the spec tire for the track you're going to run. You'll need the black slide for the carb.

The tires with the karts are compliant with my regions rules package. I figure I'll do a couple or 3 events before getting new tires because I don't want to waste stickers on a total noob driver haha. Black slide has been installed by seller.

sani

I don't think Energy makes a 4 cycle specific kart. Ask what size frame rails it is. Edit, maybe they do called a 4c. For this reason I'd pick the Margay. Margay makes a 4 cycle specific chassis. The 4.11 or an Ignite chassis. I've had a 4.11 and liked it a lot. Only problem I had with it was that with sticky compound tires it was hard to get freed up. You'll have more setup help from people with the Margay as they are more common and parts are easier to get.

Where are you located and where do you plan to race?

Margay support is very good both for advice and parts.

Thanks for your input. I live in Canada and will be running the kart here on the east in my local region. The local scene is dominated by Birel chassis as there are several dealers in the area.

BUY THE MARGAY You won't be disappointed. We have raced Margay karts for many years and they have done their homework in 4 cycle sprint racing.

I will also add that the sticky tires are what makes the Margay fast. Take out all the caster and use a soft axle. 43-44.5 nose and balance it left to right..

I bought the Margay on Sunday! I've stripped it down to bare frame and rebuilding now, cleaning, inspecting, lube, replace as required. Couldn't be happier so far and looking forward to getting on track this weekend.

sani

Back