Which of the predator engines is it that uses the clone cams?

W5R

I have a new predator engine that i just got today, and when i was disassembling it to remove the governor parts, i noticed it has a cam with a steel cam gear on it....from the other pics and video's i have seen of predators so far, they all had a nylon type of cam gear on them instead of steel. The engine i have is the 69730 model, is this the one that takes clone cams? Just being curious, i put a bsp clone cam in the place of the stock predator cam and it actually fit pretty well, even though it was just a tad more clearance/play in it than the stock cam had. This has me believing that the clone cams will work with this model predators, but i wanted to check here and make sure first. Also, do i have to get another weenie pipe for this engine or can i use the one that fits my clones? I tried to put the clone pipe on it, and it was very close to fitting, if i were to make one of the bolt holes in the exhaust flange just a little bigger or a little oblong, the pipe would fit the predator perfect but im not sure whether or not the ports would line up right. Also from what i can tell, the clone carbs and air boxes will fit right on the predators without any modification, id much rather use the clone airbox than the predator box because for those of you who havent seen the inside of a predator airbox, all they have is a thin piece of foam for a filter, there is no paper air filter at all in the airbox and i do not feel safe running this airbox that way with hardly any filtration, that is a surefire way to run an engine quick, letting dirt get into the engine.

Anyone that can give me some info on this, it would really be appreciated! Id like to be able to use as many of my clone parts as possible!

69730 takes a different cam - NOT the clone cams. Folks talk about a hemi-head predator - that one DOES take the clone cam, but I have never seen one in my many visits to HF. I think it was a short-term fluke. If you have the 69730, look around, there are tons of parts on discount because folks thought the hemi-head was a replacement. Truth is, there are tons of 30s still shipping to stores - take advantage of the bargains now.

In general the only predator that i ever saw that takes the small journal cam and, I've seen a bunch is the 60363(hemi).. check the cam bearing diameter clones and hemis are approx. .549 other preds .557+or_ I am not sure on the engine w/the 5mm valves where i am the hemis are around I have 6 sitting next to me right now.

Last edited:
Supposedly all the 'new' Predator's are Clone-compatible now. Dld you check the f/w taper yet? I've found by going up abt (2) drill sizes on the header mtg flange, it's slips onto the Predator mtg studs.

60363 hemi 212 takes the clone cams and headers. They are still available in WNY but there seems to be no rhyme or reason to what 212 engine the store will have in stock at any time.

Supposedly all the 'new' Predator's are Clone-compatible now. Dld you check the f/w taper yet? I've found by going up abt (2) drill sizes on the header mtg flange, it's slips onto the Predator mtg studs.

I was thinking about doing that, as i noticed also that my weenie pipe for the clone just about fits the predator, i could make one of the bolt holes just a little bigger and it would fit, but whether or not the ports would line up right is another question. I am gonna try it tomorow. I put the clone cam in the predator block and it did fit, but had just a slight bit of wiggle room, enough to make me unsure about using it. I think im gonna give it a try with the clone cam and see how it runs. I did check the flywheel taper also, it looks just like the one on my clone as well. Seems to me like most clone parts will fit the newest predators with little to no modification. I know the carb and airbox fits, top plate fits, and the pipe will fit if i drill out one of the mount holes one size up. Flywheel im not sure about yet, i plan on using this engine for box stock so im just gonna use the stock flywheel that came with the engine. No need for aluminum flywheel on it anyways around here, we can only run the predators in box stock. I know the predator i got has huge ports in the head and has bigger valves than the clone, but has the dished piston. Looks to be good quality engines and the ports in the head are nice looking. this is the first time iv ever seen ports opened up like that on a clone engine like these. Mine has the RTC-6 head on it.

I was thinking about doing that, as i noticed also that my weenie pipe for the clone just about fits the predator, i could make one of the bolt holes just a little bigger and it would fit, but whether or not the ports would line up right is another question. I am gonna try it tomorow. I put the clone cam in the predator block and it did fit, but had just a slight bit of wiggle room, enough to make me unsure about using it. I think im gonna give it a try with the clone cam and see how it runs. I did check the flywheel taper also, it looks just like the one on my clone as well. Seems to me like most clone parts will fit the newest predators with little to no modification. I know the carb and airbox fits, top plate fits, and the pipe will fit if i drill out one of the mount holes one size up. Flywheel im not sure about yet, i plan on using this engine for box stock so im just gonna use the stock flywheel that came with the engine. No need for aluminum flywheel on it anyways around here, we can only run the predators in box stock. I know the predator i got has huge ports in the head and has bigger valves than the clone, but has the dished piston. Looks to be good quality engines and the ports in the head are nice looking. this is the first time iv ever seen ports opened up like that on a clone engine like these. Mine has the RTC-6 head on it.
If you drill out 'both' holes evenly (slightly)....it will keep the port centered/aligned....jst say'n

I have plenty of the hemi predator engines, and still buying.them every time I go to my local harbour freight. Some places just arent getting them yet. If anyone is wanting one id be glad to purchase you one and ship it at my cost to.help a fellow racer out.

I pulled the crank out of a new 60363 in preparation for a build and checked the taper on the crank against a stock clone and it is different. Better double check.

^^^ yes it os differnt taper from clone and the old predator.. the hemi predator requires the arc 6626 flywheel same thing as a kholer...

Dave....is that some kind of clue? I'd hate goin2 the trouble of buying a hemi and then finding it's NOT Clone-compatable. I 'already' have a CL-2 cam in my roto-tiller!
Hal;all 60363's I have seen DO take the clone parts the only difference I have seen is the Earliest have "shorter assembled valve spring height,shorter springs and pockets not as deep,the tins ever so slightly different(no problem) The only engines I have seen w/plastic cam gear are the very 1st.68120's,other Diffs. are piston, F-wheel,head gskt; smaller bore carb,cam lobes, Filter housing,rabbit ears for tank mount,tank,and in my opinion Better castings,Head&valve sizes; And I have to measure but I suspect the block deck is .018-.038 lower depending on who was running the machine...........Merry Xmas To All

There are ways to still find and spot the hemi head motors they are still out there on the shelves. We got a new hemi head clone saturday at harbor 119.95 you have to look for part numbers and if you know what the valve cover looks like you can spot them by the picture on the box and by part number. I liked how it comes with a pretty flat top piston we are going to build a limited modified out of it.

Ralph

Hal;all 60363's I have seen DO take the clone parts the only difference I have seen is the Earliest have "shorter assembled valve spring height,shorter springs and pockets not as deep,the tins ever so slightly different(no problem) The only engines I have seen w/plastic cam gear are the very 1st.68120's,other Diffs. are piston, F-wheel,head gskt; smaller bore carb,cam lobes, Filter housing,rabbit ears for tank mount,tank,and in my opinion Better castings,Head&valve sizes; And I have to measure but I suspect the block deck is .018-.038 lower depending on who was running the machine...........Merry Xmas To All
Thx Dave....is that all? lol... "Enjoy"!

The predator i got is the one that has big valves and big ports in it compared to the clones i have already. I have it running now with a BSP cam in it that came out of one of my clones, the cam was a little loose fitting when i first put it in the engine and checked it without putting the sidecover on, but once i put the sidecover on and turned the engine over a few times, i could no longer hear any play in the cam at all, and when i fired up the engine, it ran perfect and sounded great. Now i just have to get the weenie pipe mounting holes drilled out one size up and get the pipe on it, and im going with the Holy Moses carb and Rev Pro red springs. Just going to leave the stock tank on it for now until i can get another top plate and fuel pump to go on it also. Iv thought about making a top plate out of stainless steel since i have a few sheets of it laying around the garage, but not sure how to make the throttle linkage if i chose to make a top plate myself. Does anyone have an idea or have made their own throttle linkage and can show me some pics of what theirs looks like?

I understand the cam journal is .008" smaller than the bore , how could assembling it and turning it over a few times make it fit? I could not imagine assembling an engine with that amount of clearance.

Back