Which Predator Engines Are Raced At Most Tracks

snow13

Should tracks stay with Harbor Freight Hemi's for their Predator Classes or is their another choice? Racers don't want a Predator setup that can't be raced at only one track. Is Harbor Freight the best way if you want to go from track to track and make minimal changes

If you are going from track to track wouldn't it be better to stay consistent with a Harbor Freight Predator?

to me, they are ALL "clones"... unless have HONDA all over them with HONDA PARTS throughout... so that term "clone) is confusing to some/many that dont KNOW the nuances of the motors. HONDA.... then PREDATOR HEMI... NON hemi.... then ducar... et. al. so it is more defined for ppl that dont know the nuances of "clone"

We are now several generations deep in clones of clones that cloned the mid generation Honda GX engine which is strikingly similar in design to the chrysler slant 6

Realize that even if you specify an out-of-the-box Harbor Freight Predator engine, those engines can come from different factories with different tolerances - and hence, different performance. Currently Harbor Freight has four different part numbers for this "same" engine... you can read on here all kinds of comments about which ones are better, or which parts are better, and mixing parts... I've got two different versions of the Predator engine just from buying one on two different weekends without realizing the part numbers were different - I haven't found a significant difference in performance between them, but also have only raced strictly OTB classes.

With such a variety of "same" engines available, the tracks I've raced at allow some latitude. Saw one Predator that looked different than what I was used to - turned out that it was an early model that they don't sell any more. The owner felt it was down on power compared to the rest. Just bringing it up because Harbor Freight could source from yet another factory and suddenly your stuff might be obsolete... good thing these motors are pretty cheap.

Tracks could probably keep a handle on all this somewhat if they required strict OTB configurations (including original air box and muffler) and kept the payouts low. As an entry level class it should not be a way to make money from race payouts (as if any class truly is), or to develop engine builders. There are already plenty of other classes for all that.

Back