Whiteland raceway drops qualifying for 2020

Maxxslack

Anybody have an opinion about pill draw vs. Qualifying for starting spot on a tight aggressive racetrack with minimal passing opportunities.

10 kart max in the heats supposedly

I agree. Putting fast karts behind slow ones seems to only tear stuff up, and create conflict.
Then you are not racing you are playing bumpercars.
We always started fast guys (high points) in back, of course this was in the 80's. It gave the other guys a chance, made the fast guys hone their skills instead of just driving around out front. and also kept the points a lot closer. BUT the best thing about it was it was a lot more FUN, which is why we were racing karts! As others came in and they went to fast up front, which led to follow the leader, the kart count went down and the track is no longer open. We were some that left and went Enduro Road racing instead. We would register late to start in back. in the late eighties at Daytona I started 110th out of 136 passed 68 guys the first lap and ended up 18th. Didn't get a trophy but never had so much fun in my life!!

Sure save some time . If your in the mix should not be an issue . Except if you in the third flight no way to get the pole .

Personally, I haven't ran the track in many years, or with an LO206. It's always been tough to pass, but not impossible.

Starting heads up by qualifying just takes the passing out of racing (for the most part.)
I'd rather see qualifying (to separate the real fast guys from the real slow ones), then invert the top 1/3 or 1/2 of the field. That way you'll have better racing, not follow the leader parades.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

I am personally for the pill draw. As touched on earlier it puts a lot more fun back in the racing aspect. The fast guys know how to get around slower karts without tearing their equipment up, its typically the guys that think they're the fast ones that are putting their stuff in bad spots and blaming the slower karts. Also if you pull heat 3 you can still get pole, winners of the 3 heats get spots 1,2,3 determined by their fastest lap in the heat.

Point average was a good option I thought. Fans knew to watch those guys from the back cause they didn't stay in the back long and would put on some moves. But of the two options draw or qualify, all day the draw. Only thing is if the same guys keep starting on the front everyone knows something is amiss

Depends how good the race director is at issuing penalties
I don't think they called a penalty in 206 Senior or Masters at all last year, but in general we're mostly clean in both classes with a couple exceptions...

It will be interesting this year, definitely.

I don't think they called a penalty in 206 Senior or Masters at all last year, but in general we're mostly clean in both classes with a couple exceptions...

It will be interesting this year, definitely.
Gotcha. I just know what I heard about KK with kids getting wrecked on purpose, etc in the final race.

Gotcha. I just know what I heard about KK with kids getting wrecked on purpose, etc in the final race.

Yea, KK is the worst. Most of the adult classes are good, tho. I mean, it's Whiteland, so it's rough and we have contact but not too extreme with blatant punting and stuff. Just comes with the territory of the track being so tight and competition so close. By the time you get a run, you're moving the steering wheel again.

I don't recognize a lot of the screen names here, so I'll be careful what I say, but I would say most people are going to like this. Might give some guys that would have finished 5th or 6th in the feature a chance to win a heat race and sneak out a podium in Feature. Lets just all hope Geist, Evan, and the other fast guys in 206 senior draw last starting spot in every race.

-Derek Hastings

I don't recognize a lot of the screen names here, so I'll be careful what I say, but I would say most people are going to like this. Might give some guys that would have finished 5th or 6th in the feature a chance to win a heat race and sneak out a podium in Feature. Lets just all hope Geist, Evan, and the other fast guys in 206 senior draw last starting spot in every race.

-Derek Hastings

I might start racing Senior again with a pill draw...

-Burpo

Places that I have done that at pretty much all ovals, would give you passing points + finish points in the heats and line you up by points in the feature. Sometimes it would get rough. Need good officiating. It works. I went there last year for the VKA vintage races. That is a tight narrow track, did they repave and reconfigure?? They were talking about. I probably will not go back if they did not fix up the track more.

Back