Who is RJ Saylor?

Prorookie34

Newer team, wanting to know what all the hype is about RJ Saylor (who seems well respected) and his Predators where we race. Anyone able to tell me what hes doing to "stock" predator 212's for like 300 bucks I've heard? We seem to keep up with them, but I want to know if he has a cheater package everyone is buying up that I dont know about. Want to implement and start to utilize the claimer rule, but dont want to waste time. Thank you in advance. Feel free to message me. Dont want to hurt feelings!

(This is not the easiest thing to research, there isnt much online and I dont do social media)
Thanks again!

Newer team, wanting to know what all the hype is about RJ Saylor (who seems well respected) and his Predators where we race. Anyone able to tell me what hes doing to "stock" predator 212's for like 300 bucks I've heard? We seem to keep up with them, but I want to know if he has a cheater package everyone is buying up that I dont know about. Want to implement and start to utilize the claimer rule, but dont want to waste time. Thank you in advance. Feel free to message me. Dont want to hurt feelings!

(This is not the easiest thing to research, there isnt much online and I dont do social media)
Thanks again!
Rj is an honest builder out of Churubusco Indiana. I have had him do work on a flathead before but I am not going to lie we used it as a backup engine. As far as what he does to the predator engine I don't know but if you call him he will tell you exactly what he does to each engine that comes through his shop. But more than likely he just cleans up the factory flaws on those said engines.

260-693-9553

Call him and ask him
Again, being newer, I hear ya, and appreciate that, but I really dont think he will tell me the information I need honestly. Anyone can sound honest on the phone. Im looking for witnesses lol and other engine builders to tell me to claim these 300 or 400 dollar, depending on the package he may or may not be selling, should I or is it worth putting a claimer on them for like $180, which is what a stock engine is worth, and claim their 400 engines or does the fact that we keep up, with a motor built by the chinese per what I thought were the rules and just keep working on other setup stuff? We can catch them but they are fast. Engine prices are why we dont run clones by the way.

Rj is an honest builder out of Churubusco Indiana. I have had him do work on a flathead before but I am not going to lie we used it as a backup engine. As far as what he does to the predator engine I don't know but if you call him he will tell you exactly what he does to each engine that comes through his shop. But more than likely he just cleans up the factory flaws on those said engines.
If I give him names, he will tell me the specs on their engines? That sounds like stuff from another planet, but I appreciate your reply! Im sure he has a few packages, but where do I get that info, without calling? It wouldnt help me know who has what, but at least id know those motors are out there. I just want to know if he has a package for tracks that dont make you run bone stock and guys are trying to pass these hopped up motors for stock is all. I've heard some pass tech, some dont but our track is inconsistent with tech so, i dont want to get beat by cheaters is all. Especially if I can know the difference.

This is my honest and respectful attempt at trying to limit and control any or all cheating, which has already been known that these "parents" do it in the kids karts, so trust is a bit of an issue. This is the best I can do without calling people out, which I have 0 issue with or just cheating ourselves, which I said we'd never do, but that is right up there with not letting cheaters, cheat, with our knowledge of it happening, so something has to give. Again not calling out a single soul right now. Just doing all I can to keep it as fair as racing can be. Also CLEARLY not a fan of 400 dollar stock predators. We are new but im very sure predators are a by product of 1000+ dollar clones.

Again, being newer, I hear ya, and appreciate that, but I really dont think he will tell me the information I need honestly. Anyone can sound honest on the phone. Im looking for witnesses lol and other engine builders to tell me to claim these 300 or 400 dollar, depending on the package he may or may not be selling, should I or is it worth putting a claimer on them for like $180, which is what a stock engine is worth, and claim their 400 engines or does the fact that we keep up, with a motor built by the chinese per what I thought were the rules and just keep working on other setup stuff? We can catch them but they are fast. Engine prices are why we dont run clones by the way.

There is no rulebook for a predator motor, so in reality there is no such thing as cheating because there are no rules to follow.

However, under the idea that all parts must remain stock, the packages engine builders are selling is where they will take five predators and use components from each one to make the best combination. That includes honing the cylinder, taking tension off the rings, clearance in the rod, etc. It’s not a cheater package in the sense that they’re using aftermarket parts to gain horsepower, they are just working with what is available inside the motor. You’re paying for knowledge and labor.

No, RJ is probably not going to just tell you everything that he does in his package because that would be proprietary information.

Youve got to understand that right out of the box some Predators run a lot better than others. These guys know what to look for when they disassemble them and clean up the little flaws in them.

You guys have been extremely helpful and I appreciate your replys very much. My next question would be, why do people go to guys like RJ, spend all this cash to find the best stock motor, when the claimer rule exists? Ive never claimed an engine but really want to. What happens if the one being claimed says no? Do we get the win? Or does the track get to dictate when you can use the claimer rule? Because some of these guys are friends.

I used the word "stock" for my rulebook. Take apart whatever you want and use whatever stock parts you want. My claim on that engine will pay for all the knowledge you just paid much more for. I want to know how "if at all" they are doing as in guys like RJ (who seems plenty honest) to cheat them up past cleaning up the inside and checking tolerances.

You guys have been extremely helpful and I appreciate your replys very much. My next question would be, why do people go to guys like RJ, spend all this cash to find the best stock motor, when the claimer rule exists? Ive never claimed an engine but really want to. What happens if the one being claimed says no? Do we get the win? Or does the track get to dictate when you can use the claimer rule? Because some of these guys are friends.
Rules are different every where on how its done .
The why its not done :
Freinds ? won't be for long after you claim their engine .
Claiming gets you a cheap engine . only to find out its no different ; maybe .
You may as well go ahead and claim one , you will not be satisfied they are not cheating till you do .
Personally If your keeping up , Just keep at it .

Im not particularly fond of the people we would like to claim and they are much faster with an extreme weight disadvantage. They are friends with the track, we're the outsiders. Im EXTREMELY satisfied with our year and could gladly call it early even but what good does that do for the sport? About as much good as cheating. Again mine is straight out of the box and theirs cost 400 from a well known builder. We've beat them even, again, plenty of enough times to be satisfied, but they are consistently faster and I just want to be sure its not ALL engine. If I claimed it, I would sit in on a shelf or donate it to the kids in my neighborhood for their fun kart. Id wait for "tech" before I claimed it, to be sure its "stock" LOL

Thats A well Known Fact .
claim one ; inspect it , move on .
We ran a syrup race in brookings . "freind ran a rlv mod muffler . i told him it was wrong . he finished one position in front of us . di that make the difference ? I will never know ,likelynot .
Then a Freind , weight disadvantage is constantly running up front , we totally legal . still Have too get in front of them to win . Never protested. why ? Local races , Satisfaction of beating them , Its just a Kart race nothing life or death .

If I give him names, he will tell me the specs on their engines? That sounds like stuff from another planet, but I appreciate your reply! Im sure he has a few packages, but where do I get that info, without calling? It wouldnt help me know who has what, but at least id know those motors are out there. I just want to know if he has a package for tracks that dont make you run bone stock and guys are trying to pass these hopped up motors for stock is all. I've heard some pass tech, some dont but our track is inconsistent with tech so, i dont want to get beat by cheaters is all. Especially if I can know the difference.
He will tell you what his package includes not what each individual engine he has built he has done this or that to it. I will say that those predator engine were no longer allowed in box stock at Kokomo speedway when they were running karts there

Couldn't be happier with the responses. We plan to claim, and put some rj stickers on our 125$ engines and hope someone claims ours. Quick $50. There are definitely no written rules to stickers lol. Rj may be upset, but I want to get paid for my knowledge too. I really do appreciate the responses though. We have passion but dont quite lose sleep yet. We may do nothing, but I have learned a lot to help make a better decision. The results are mixed on wether they run inconsistently on purpose to throw us off, given their points lead. Solid engine info, or their engine sitting in my garage, helps narrow that stuff down. Thanks again guys

We will probably have to race this group for years to come...which we do enjoy, but we have also had our fair share of nonsense and won't be taken advantage of, knowingly.

One thing you can take to the bank with rj saylor is his motors are 100% legal and his work is top notch. Definitely a very respected man in the karting community and his stuff is winning week in and week out. But at the end of the day it’s easy to say this guy is cheating or has a secret motor combo but in reality its the tires that make the difference. Ill bet you claim a winning engine and run exactly the same.

Back