Who is RJ Saylor?

One thing you can take to the bank with rj saylor is his motors are 100% legal and his work is top notch. Definitely a very respected man in the karting community and his stuff is winning week in and week out. But at the end of the day it’s easy to say this guy is cheating or has a secret motor combo but in reality its the tires that make the difference. Ill bet you claim a winning engine and run exactly the same.
But will they?.... Thank you for your reply. I am not questioning the man's integrity to do the right thing. But lets say I called and asked hey can you do this, this and this, will he ask if its for the stock class and then refuse? Probably not. He probably doesn't care too much on that front, and I dont blame him. People lie anyway.

But will they?.... Thank you for your reply. I am not questioning the man's integrity to do the right thing. But lets say I called and asked hey can you do this, this and this, will he ask if its for the stock class and then refuse? Probably not. He probably doesn't care too much on that front, and I dont blame him. People lie anyway.
So why even bring his name and business into this conversation. You are getting beat by tires and if you think its the motor nut up and claim one. Easy solution and like i said i bet you get beat by the same people its a brutal humbling sport.

So why even bring his name and business into this conversation. You are getting beat by tires and if you think its the motor nut up and claim one. Easy solution and like i said i bet you get beat by the same people its a brutal humbling sport.
Haus, did you read everything I said? Or you cherry pickin? You race where we do? Just say it. I'm plenty humble. Thanks. I want to know what the heck he's, specifically, doing to the engines, because everyone and their literal brothers, cousins and aunts run them. I dont want to waste money buying cheats I can do myself. Do you build enignes? What can you do to a STOCK engine for 400 dollars? ANYWAY, at the end of the day, it's the cheaters who are winning that are the biggest losers on the planet anyway. If I find out, they will be racing themselves next year, that's all.

I charge $350 for my predators….. that’s everything brand new from motor/weenie pipe/top plate/fuel pump/springs.

Guy who bought one also bought a set of tires week of race that I already prepared. Won by full straightaway….. the next week he gets beat by half a track……

Moral of story….. it’s more than just the motor…..

They don't whoop on us. We consistently run them down, but they also play games, and like I said there are trust issues in the kid karts, so, I just want to eliminate a factor, in the game playing. I know this is putting myself out there, but I wanted advice before I claimed or didn't/don't. It seems to be a big cry baby no no, when I feel like it should be celebrated. I' d laugh if someone claimed ours, not get all offended...

If you could claim that engine, reverse engineer it looking for cheats (and actually find some) you would have already done these things to yours.

They don't whoop on us. We consistently run them down, but they also play games, and like I said there are trust issues in the kid karts, so, I just want to eliminate a factor, in the game playing. I know this is putting myself out there, but I wanted advice before I claimed or didn't/don't. It seems to be a big cry baby no no, when I feel like it should be celebrated. I' d laugh if someone claimed ours, not get all offended...
I will tell you that I have seen his motors pass tech and seen them fail tech. He builds his motors to the rules but after they leave his shop some tweak them even more. I am sure I know some of the guys who you are talking about. Do we run your track no because we don't own the engine platform for your track. I will tell you his engines are good for Saturday night racing but they will not run with the big boys in money races. We used his engine as a backup because we were running big money races and felt it was underpowered compared to our other engines. In fact we ran one of our engines against a whole field of his and were beating them by half a track or more on a weekly basis at baer field.

I wouldn’t worry about it to much. The hemi is short lived. There are things going on from China about this engine that will drive a mail in its coffin. I have dealt with the problem for three weeks now.

I'm not even going to broach the subject of if this guy is legal or not and what is being done to specific engines.
I CAN tell you that PLENTY can be done to "stock" Predators within the rules enforced by tracks.
$300 is cheap from what I've gathered on Predators -- other builders are getting upward of $600 for their work (AND passing tech.)

Now, you've said that you like the claim rule, to the point that it should be celebrated. I think there's your answer, right there.
Claim away.
Just be sure you don't run second to them with their engine next week if it's all you claim it to be.

Are there cheaters in this sport. Absolutely. That's why we need good tech.
Now, you'll have some builders that know the level of tech at a specific track and build their engines accordingly.

As someone else mentioned, karting can be quite humbling at times too.
It still amazes me at how much a different set of tires can pick up in lap times and I've been around this sport for 50+ years, built engines for 30+, and done tires for 20+.
Give me an average engine and the right tires over a top notch engine on the wrong tires any day. Give me both, and we'll be protested and headed to the tech barn.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
34 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Man I just cant say it enough how much I appreciate good conversation on this topic. Sucks some people are still in their feelings about claiming, but at least we all seem to know why. It's annoying if you're not cheating, but at the same time, I'm giving you money to buy a new one. At least it discourages people from buying 5 and "picking the best one". Knowing I may claim it. Or spending anything over a few hundred.
I really dont worry about this stuff as much as this thread probably shows the opposite, but I see the issue with kart counts and see more people doing nothing and staying home. As a wise man once told me, "nUt uP" or teach your driver to drive and quit cheating. Or I will call you out. Feel free to inspect me all you want. If your track is anything like ours, your tech guy has friends and shows up whenever he can and techs when he feels its necessary. I dont know enough about engines but im trying. Thats another reason we run stock classes and not souped up clones.
I have been told about tires since we started and there isnt a day that goes by where I am not trying to learn more. Thank you for driving that point home and your input Mr. Carlson. Your opinion is highly respected on here and I appreciate everyones time.
My wife yells/advises me all the time about being humble and I am extremely proud of my son/driver for his accomplishments, but this isn't worth anything, if his accomplishments make us arrogant. So I do my best to not be disrespectful to people, but my kindness has been mistaken as a weakness. Too many nice people staying home and saying forget it.

We seem to keep up with them,
That reads to me your not all that good at racing maybe average when everyone is on similar engines.
Your looking for excuses instead of skill and knowledge to win or buy your kid a win.

I'd bet if your put some film on here it would show your kart keeps up on the straights because engines are pretty much the same and gets beat in the corners.

The only reason to worry about having an as good as engine is a stock class is to take the engine out of the equation and learn the other things needed to win.

sorry but that's the way I read your complaining about why can't we or my kid win.
we hear it often that on here and usually after those who complain offer what there doing outside of the engine and they do their homework and put effort where it's needed into setup and driving, WE HAPPLY HEAR ABOUT A WIN, which is all those helping on here are on here for.

We want' to see you solve your problems by attacking how and what you do instead of attacking what others may or may not be doing.
If your fast your fast and you have a chance to win instead of just keeping up.

Claiming is for the rich

Why would you pay out your hard earned cash to buy something you can't use and is effectively worthless?

I had a predator hemi sent to me from Tennessee this past week. The Engine in question was in a battle for the track championship. On the last event this Engine turned lap times that were never returned before. The engine got claimed and sent to me for inspection. I had to break the news to the guy who sent the engine to me that the engine was legal by means of all the other engines I have looked at over the last four years. I told the guy he had his four corners right on the car. On another side of the coin I will probably open a can of worms here. Three weeks ago an Engine got claimed in New York and the builder and the driver were barred from the race track for one year. The builder of the engine Swore up and down he never touched the engine other than to put it on the Dyno set the RPMs as requested and send it out the door. When the engine got claimed by the track the tech inspector tore the engine down only to find that the head had the valves sunk below the floor and the seats were cut all the way out to the aluminum somewhat like the problem we developed in the clone and had to design tools to stop it. For that reason the tech inspector who had never seen anything of that nature before disqualified the engine. I can’t say that I would not have done the same thing as I have never seen that in my four years of Inspecting these engines. The builder called me and informed me that he had purchased three engines from the same harbor freight on the same day. I asked him if he had looked in the second and third boxes to see if those heads might be the same way because they were in a sequence. He took the second engine out of the box disassembled it and sure enough the seats were ground all the way out and the valves were sunk. He called the track promoter and the track promoter agreed to come down and take the second box apart but only if the tape and the staples were still in the box. And they were. Surprise the third Engine was the same exact way. This morning Monday morning I get a phone call from Iowa. Same exact problem tech man found another engine that had the valves sunk to the floor and Seats cut to the aluminum. I know this probably just open the can of worms but how are you gonna control it. I have been informed that China is no longer producing the hemi. And they are getting extremely sloppy with their work. And that is why in my previous post I made the comment that the hemi already has a nail in the coffin. If you open the door to solve the problem of the head on this hemi you have open the door to a big cost to have your head done to the head rules that might be designed. Keep that in mind.

Claiming is for the rich

Why would you pay out your hard earned cash to buy something you can't use and is effectively worthless?
Not as rich as the cheaters. All that money for a plastic trophy and a fake win?
That reads to me your not all that good at racing maybe average when everyone is on similar engines.
Your looking for excuses instead of skill and knowledge to win or buy your kid a win.

I'd bet if your put some film on here it would show your kart keeps up on the straights because engines are pretty much the same and gets beat in the corners.

The only reason to worry about having an as good as engine is a stock class is to take the engine out of the equation and learn the other things needed to win.

sorry but that's the way I read your complaining about why can't we or my kid win.
we hear it often that on here and usually after those who complain offer what there doing outside of the engine and they do their homework and put effort where it's needed into setup and driving, WE HAPPLY HEAR ABOUT A WIN, which is all those helping on here are on here for.

We want' to see you solve your problems by attacking how and what you do instead of attacking what others may or may not be doing.
If your fast your fast and you have a chance to win instead of just keeping up.
I could post more info, but its too direct. Trust me, not complaining. I just wanted info on claiming and whether people think its worth it, specifically on an rj, who is extremely popular where we race.

Will look into the china stuff.. Pretty wild.

People pull flathead and animals out of the grave all the time though lol still fun racing

Claiming is for the rich

If I claim them, tear them down and find an issue, the track does nothing, you all will be the first to know . what you do with that info is on you. That doesn't seem worthless to me. Unless you do nothing too.

Profile the cam. Disassemble. Twist gear to specific centerline. Twist lobes on cam for opening and closing needed for the centerline you twisted the gear on the crank to. Don’t worry about duration. Not turning enough rpm to matter. Besides if you get it to close to the AKRA profile it is a dead giveaway. Resize the cylinder by .002. Heat treat the rings but don’t leave any signs you did it. Polish the crank and open the rod by .003 clearance. Don’t leave any signs you were in it. Take .003 off the head. Drop the valves about .005. Don’t worry about hurting spring pressure or installed height. Not enough rpm to cause a problem. The valves to the floor are all over the place from China like everything else. Do a good seal on the seats. Let the timing alone. Put it on the Dyno and tune the carb. $5/600 job by some people. Approximately 1 to 1.5 h.p. Gain. I do know for a fact that stock out of the box has put a whoopin on them. Your money do as you wish!!!

Profile the cam. Disassemble. Twist gear to specific centerline. Twist lobes on cam for opening and closing needed for the centerline you twisted the gear on the crank to. Don’t worry about duration. Not turning enough rpm to matter. Besides if you get it to close to the AKRA profile it is a dead giveaway. Resize the cylinder by .002. Heat treat the rings but don’t leave any signs you did it. Polish the crank and open the rod by .003 clearance. Don’t leave any signs you were in it. Take .003 off the head. Drop the valves about .005. Don’t worry about hurting spring pressure or installed height. Not enough rpm to cause a problem. The valves to the floor are all over the place from China like everything else. Do a good seal on the seats. Let the timing alone. Put it on the Dyno and tune the carb. $5/600 job by some people. Approximately 1 to 1.5 h.p. Gain. I do know for a fact that stock out of the box has put a whoopin on them. Your money do as you wish!!!
Have watched teams spend $2500.00 in tires to win a $1500 race, nothing surprises me in racing

Back