Who makes small engine Dynos?

Devil-D-Dawg

I see a bunch on line, but what do folks in the "field" use?

Please give me a couple names and I will do the research.

Looking for something that is suitable for clones and possibly KT100s

Thank you

Land & Sea still makes dynos for small engines.

Stan Hewitt offers an acceleration dyno for small engines.

Several of us use ones that were made years ago (Go Power used to build dynos. Henry Noonkester? offered the Prototype dyno, Jim Davenport offered one as well.)
There are literally hundreds of homemade hydraulic or acceleration dynos out there. Many choose to buy the parts and built it themselves.

Most are using Performance Trends software and data acquisition.

I wouldn't be real concerned with the brand as long as the information it provides is repeatable. My dynos are considered antique by today's standards, but I'd put them against anyone's as far as accuracy and repeatability anytime.

Thanks,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
765-339-4407

I see a bunch on line, but what do folks in the "field" use?

Please give me a couple names and I will do the research.

Looking for something that is suitable for clones and possibly KT100s

Thank you

Look for Jamie Webb on facebook, he had a page at one time to build your own hydraulic dyno
This site shows how to build an inertia dyno
http://dtec.net.au/Inertia Dyno Design Guide.htm
This one goes into a little more detail on inertia
http://performancetrends.com/tdkmotorsports/index.html

I like a Hewitt for small motors under 35hp...and Performance trends software..
Performance Trends is sending me a quote, but they're not cheap. And I'll tell Ya, they are not used to talking to a dumb Karter like me. I'm sure they're very good, no doubt, but the simple needs of a go kart dyno seem way under anything they offer.

I like a Hewitt for small motors under 35hp...and Performance trends software..

My absorption unit was a Go Power water break. I purchased that in 1985. $2500 with a strain gauge and RPM counter. Nothing else. The absorption unit was rated at 120 horsepower Max. I'll tell you one thing, 1985 was the dark ages of data acquisition in the garage. Still, my dyno was the cutting edge of the day.

Has anyone had any problems with using a kart chain drive on there Dyno? I was told the chain get galded and takes HP?

Most inertia wheel dyno's use chain drive no problem, it is no different than the maintenance required for your kart.

Best to have some type of clutch, it makes it much easier to start engine. Yes you can buy solid gears and keyed hubs at any industrial supply house.

Get in touch with Stan Hewitt. His contact information is on this site. He will work with you to try to build what you can afford.

If you do most of the welding yourself, and use the plans on the last link i posted in post#3 you can build that dyno for about $1200.00 ready to run

Performance Trends is sending me a quote, but they're not cheap. And I'll tell Ya, they are not used to talking to a dumb Karter like me. I'm sure they're very good, no doubt, but the simple needs of a go kart dyno seem way under anything they offer.

Your right on both counts. It is overkill , but mine has a weather station and A/F ratios gauge making carb tuning a breeze.

I have a Hewitt dyno 40 HP.flywheel.only about 50 pulls or less.Datamite3 with weather .Performance trends pro. New 6000. Will take 3500. Complete with computer,and color printer.

I'm still using the one I bought from Jim Ackkerman in 1974. It has tested many many Yamahas and now has been testing Briggs motor since 1990. It uses a hydraulic fan for engine cooling. We could not operate without it.

Back