Who makes the new Restrictor plates ?

Ripp_jr

Who is making the new Restrictor plates. They have a funnel shape where the hole is. The hole is correct size but like a taper to it. We seen them at kings of kings and they all passed tech.

If they passed tech, the tech people need to be re-educated. The restrictor plate is supposed to be a flat plate orifice. Changing the configuration to the one described makes a major change in the orifice coefficient and hence a quite significant increase in flow capability at any delta in pressure across the orifice. What was described is best considered a cheater orifice.

Unfortunately, I have misplaced my Crane Handbook, so I can't give comparative figures, but if I find it, I'll be back to illustrate just how much of an improvement this is, just be advised that it is a significant flow increase do to this simple change in configuration.

Who did tech, and what builder were they?

It's one thing to have something slip through tech, it's another when many things get through tech.

OP, How did you find out about the holes being funneled and re-anodized in your competitor's plates? Just wondering.
I've seen them done that way on flatheads in years past, so I am not surprised....wondering if it's from the same builder.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Look on page 32 of the Sox catalog and you will see the funneled restrictors but they are made for animal engines. The clone restrictors in their catalog do not look to be funneled. Click here for catalog. then again, it's an old catalog and they may be making them for clones also now.

Last edited:
Look on page 32 of the Sox catalog and you will see the funneled restrictors but they are made for animal engines. The clone restrictors in their catalog do not look to be funneled. Click here for catalog. then again, it's an old catalog and they may be making them for clones also now.
I see no pictures of animal restrictor plates on that page at all.
The funneled plates pictured on that page are actually the old IKF flathead plates that were funneled. Won't fit an animal OR clone. :)

Carlson, look again. There are pictures of 5 restrictors on page 32 out of 57 pages and two look to be funneled. The top of the page says "Animal After-Market Parts". And the description of each restrictor states "Animal" in each part number. I know what flathead restrictors look like but mine that have been sitting in my toolbox for 30 years are not funneled. If the info is wrong, blame Sox, not me!

Last edited:
They do though it states for animal engines . IKF And WKA nothing about akra or nka .

Nice catalog though thanks .

Last edited:
I notice that it says to be used in specific junior classes. Is there a possibility that the track informed Randal that the plates were ok at that track?

Back