WHO MAKES TOOLING TO MACHINE 2 STOKE KART ENGINES

BRISK19

Is there anybody that makes tooling to machine 2 stroke go karts engines? Looking for cylinder head mandrill and tapered mandrill with spilt tapered cone for machining cylinders?

Regards

Rob

Is there anybody that makes tooling to machine 2 stroke go karts engines? Looking for cylinder head mandrill and tapered mandrill with spilt tapered cone for machining cylinders?

Regards

Rob
If LAD is still around Don may have. He used to make all kinds of that stuff.

If you can do machine work you can make allot of that stuff yourself as I have. There are other ways to do things without a tapered mandrill ect.

Tapered mandrels are available, I'm sure, from any big tooling house. Expensive, but essential! I'm assuming you have a lath? Nothing better, that I know of, for getting the top and bottom of the barrel 90° to the bore centerline.

I've machined all of my special tooling for engine builds, crank alignment/assy. fixture, head combustion chamber cutters, cylinder torque plates, head holding tool, crank lower bearing gap plates, etc. I used Tennessee mandrel hones, I still have them, would sell for 800.00 3 mandrals from 80cc to 300cc 2cycle..

Last edited:
For expanding mandrels, I would recommend K.O.Lee. LeBlond bought them around 10 years ago, so that's where to get them now:

https://leblondusa.com/mandrels/
Note that expanding mandrels are a bit of a compromise, (since the sleeves are manufactured in a manner that allows expansion over a decent range). I own a few of them, and have re-ground the expanding sleeve to be perfectly round and straight at a specific diameter (e.g. 52.0mm for doing Yamaha cylinders). They will work for squaring as they are sold, however they will contact the bore at a number of "points" around the bore on each end of the sleeve, rather than the entire surface of the expanding sleeve (it's the nature of the geometry of the sleeve). If they are re-ground to the specific diameter where they are used, then there is full contact on the bore at that size. The advantage of grinding the sleeve is that it will not leave a mark on the a finish-honed bore at that size, whereas with a standard expanding sleeve, it's better to do the final kiss on the hone after the cylinder has been squared. The "hold" on the cylinder also feels a bit more solid when the expanding sleeve has been ground on-size for that bore.

PM

Back