Who's counting wifi stuff? me ... :)

paulkish

old fart
I just counted them up and in our house I have 160 things online. gezzzzzeee never should have counted them ... :)

Probably have another 30 more that are yet to be or could be installed, when I get the time.

Sure was interesting last night when the power surged to the house and just about every light bulb in the house went on. ... :)

And I and my wife more and more talk to most every one of them. Even my cars got it's own Alexa so I can listen to local radio coming home late from a race.
If we travel dang if both of us don't want to tell the lights when to go out in the hotel room.
With us it's go to bed and then turn stuff off or on not turn stuff off and then go to bed. ... :)

oooops, forgot about all the security cameras and camera/voice door bells.

... by the way I just installed my 4th router today so I can have a wifi plug on it to turn my main router on and off remotely.
... forgot about installing a automatic finger to remotely open and close my garage door.
And then there's the infra red and wifi remote control repeaters.
Heck I even have usb charging ports on my handicap scooter so when i'm at the races I can charge my cell phone.

who's next on this addiction?

3 max here if you count the router . I still ain't figured out how to link two routers or tried .
How long does it take to resynchronize everything after a power outage ?

Good Lord Paul, thats a lot, got me thinking now, I'll let you know tomorrow

Well I got something to think about now laying in the bed tonight, thanks for keeping me up tonight Paul...lol

19 in my house. Stuff I don't even think about is connected to WiFi. Things like my Blu-ray player that hasn't been used in 8-12 months lol

3 max here if you count the router . I still ain't figured out how to link two routers or tried .
How long does it take to resynchronize everything after a power outage ?

All you do is plug a cable into a 1 thru 4 port on the first router and then plug the other end of that cable into the yellow port on the second router.
You also might have to go into the first router and tell it it's ok to talk to new stuff out there via a setting.
What the cable company will put in your house is either a one unit "modem"/router combo with yellow ports on the back of "it" or two units one being their modem, which gets you out to the internet via the coax cable coming into your house and a second unit which is a Router. Routers always hook up to the modem or another router.
The second router you want to put in will have a yellow port.
You hook a cable to the yellow port and then to either a yellow port on the cable companies modem/router or a regular port on the router they supply to go with their modem.
No matter what you hook up to it will be something which can make up and send you an ip address to use and either the modem/router unit or a modem is what's going to send it to you. Think of the yellow port on your modem as input and the 1 thru 4 ports as output to you or if it's a combo unit then the 4 ports you hook your router yellow port to will be yellow. I don't know why the heck they usually use 4 yellow ports on the cable company modem/router combo.

Forgot to get a coffee this morning and that's it for now.
thanks for the conversation

paul

Here's something to think about.

The second router I have plugged into the cable companies modem/router I also use for my "Guest Network" which is open for anyone visitor or neighbor to use if they want. Being the guest network is on it's own router right into the cable company with non of my stuff on it except for a wifi plug to turn on/off my main modem, I don't have any security on it because to get into the network they'd have to break cable company security first, not my router security.
At least I think that's how it would work. ?????????????

LOL, many years ago i'd always have my laptop on in my car/van working so it would let me know when I could jump on someone elses internet to do work stuff. Then they got me a hot spot. Next to save a buck they took away my hot spot and I was told to go to a mcdonalds or wendys and get on. Later when gps came on common i'd get chewed out again to save a nickel if I parked and sat anywhere with my engine running for heat or air conditioning. But they didn't care if I drove 100 miles to get free internet at a mcdonalds instead, so long as I didn't sit around with the car running.
It all depended on which bean the bean counters were counting at the time.
We did cellular before Motorola did it and it was us who got Motorola into it building towers.
I think it was one of them business deals where it's like hey man, you got a big customer here who will help you out with technology just waiting to pay you to use your towers if you sprint for the cash to put them up. Then on down the road we dump motorola and use someone else buying a big chunk of the company when they start to fail. And ya know what low and behold after Motorola gets back on it's feet and we have a good size stake in them now because of the cheap buy in They Become Our customer for service. LOL, that's when I get three weeks in a fun school somewhere down south learning Motorola stuff and unix. That's how the big cats do business.
It amazzed me for years how many BIG retail stores bought into our sales pitch because they were in trouble. The end result was yes they got help and put our hardware everywhere but in the process when they were down we kicked them taking a chunk of them for our help which then trippled or quadrupled when they got on their feet again. I don't think IBM has to sell any hardward or even much of anything anymore because they have a big piece of most every fat cats business. The only real reason for Watson is to keep track of all the pies they have their finger in. ... :)

.... now where's that coffee. ... :)

edit: here's another old time one. I still have my bag phone which I often spent 2-3- or more hours a day on calling customers, dispatch and help desks both ours and customers. I wonder how much that bag phone cost them. proly a ton of money LOL

Last edited:
Back