Why aren't Champ Karts more popular?

As we finish our second year of Karting I've noticed Flat Karts outnumber Champs probably 10 to 1 here in the Carolinas.

Especially with kids classes. You would think they would be more popular. Mainly for the safety aspect.

I'm fact most Chanps I see for sale are 10 years old. Rarely do I see a newer one up for sale.

I'm just curious.

As we finish our second year of Karting I've noticed Flat Karts outnumber Champs probably 10 to 1 here in the Carolinas.

Especially with kids classes. You would think they would be more popular. Mainly for the safety aspect.

I'm fact most Chanps I see for sale are 10 years old. Rarely do I see a newer one up for sale.

I'm just curious.
Because people can’t wreck their way to the front in a champ.

I personally don't race champs because they are more expensive, and I am 17 paying for my own kart. I was thinking this same thing Saturday night after watching two hard hits with guys coming out of their karts. The junior classes around here are flat out dangerous. I've heard people say that they would rather wreck a flat kart, because you are less likely to break arms, but I don't see how they could possibly be safer overall. I think I would have more fun racing if I wasn't as scared of injuring myself.

I am in western Kentucky and over the last 5 or 6 years have been to maybe 12 races that included champ karts. Not one of them had more than 4 karts and all were adult karts. My Ohio friends race them quite a bit and have great turnouts. Been wondering the same thing.

Ive seen kids get hurt in champ karts, seen them get hurt in flat karts, racing can be a sport when kids get hurt and it dont matter what type kart they are in.
Statistically speaking, kart racing is many many times more safer than soccer, football.
Nobody wants to see a kid get hurt, dont matter what sport, but things can and will happen. Its unfortunate and uncomfortable, but a champ kart wont stop it from happening either.
On the adult side of things, i tend to believe its just the overall size and weight of the champ that keeps more from being involved.

imo there are a bunch of champ karts out there, no one wants to run champ for 150 dollars to win. but at most of my local tracks you put 1000 dollars up for a champ class and everyone and there grandma shows up with a champ kart lol.

Champs out number flat karts up here in New England on asphalt more than 10 to 1. All racing has it's risks but in my experience champ karts have been "safer". I think overall flat karts are more affordable and easier to setup, drive, and transport though.

There were a lot of champ karts went on sale way back when the star engines were no longer available. We tried the flathead it wasnt nowhere close to what we were use to.So we got rid of our champ karts, only way i would consider getting another one would be if they went to a big block clone or Predator.

Several factors I suppose.
Initial cost, weight, less nimble handling, lack of sufficient numbers already, under-powered engine options, with slower lap times than flat karts.

After driving a convertible flat out stuck through a corner, who wants a sedan that drives like a truck and have to lift and roll the corners?

Now, give them some power and it's game on. At the very least, WKA unrestricted animal...Better yet, limited mod or small block open and then it's game on.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
33 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Champs out number flat karts up here in New England on asphalt more than 10 to 1. All racing has it's risks but in my experience champ karts have been "safer". I think overall flat karts are more affordable and easier to setup, drive, and transport though.
Yup, pretty much forced into champs up here, unless you want to run by yourself. Would like to see lower weight limits on champs, adult classes run mostly at 425 and many or most need to add a ton of lead. Oh my aching back. If you can't run at 400 you should join a gym. Also agree with Mr. Carlson, a champ with a limited mod at 375 sure would make these fun.

Several factors I suppose.
Initial cost, weight, less nimble handling, lack of sufficient numbers already, under-powered engine options, with slower lap times than flat karts.

After driving a convertible flat out stuck through a corner, who wants a sedan that drives like a truck and have to lift and roll the corners?

Now, give them some power and it's game on. At the very least, WKA unrestricted animal...Better yet, limited mod or small block open and then it's game on.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
33 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

I had forgotten this. A few years ago we went to HBR Raceway in southern Illinois and they had some champs there running some pretty pumped up engines, looked like a lot of fun. Maybe Old Loco can tell us the class details?

I personally love champ kart racing. I currently own 2 and wish there were more "local" champ races.

There still seems to be a decent amount running weekly in the PA area.

The cost is a bit higher and there is a slightly different level of respect when it comes to driving one.

After being out of racing karts for a while when I wanted to start racing again my wife would only let me get back into it if I got a Champ kart. She said they looked safer. I really enjoyed racing them. A little more expensive but worth it.

Champ karts really are not much more expensive than flat karts in my opinion. My son loved driving his Jr sportsman and was really good kart to learn on. He knows as much if not more than some flat kart drivers when it comes to driving a clean race. In a champ you can't beat and bang your way forward. You have to learn when to pass and how to pass clean or else you are tearing up equipment. The best investment I have made to teach my son how to drive not just the kart but the other drivers as well.

I have heard "those arm restraints are a deal killer for me" more than I would like to admit........weak just saying

Back